Here Comes the Sun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

It may not seem like it, but despite the lingering cold and the cloudy, gray skies that continue to rob us of that much-needed sunshine, it is finally spring! I know some days it’s hard to believe, but even with the occasional chilly weather, it’s time to welcome spring and bring some color back into our lives.

You know the saying: “April showers bring May flowers.” Spring is notorious for rain, whether it comes in the form of a light drizzle or a full out thunderstorm. But don’t let that ruin your day. Instead, opt for bright rainwear. A cute umbrella, printed rain boots or a great, colorful raincoat can lift up your spirits and brighten your mood, no matter how gray the sky may be.

A bright outlook
You can also bring a little color to your face. No, I don’t mean that you should attempt to bring back 80s blue eye shadow — leave that to Cyndi Lauper. But you can play with bright colors in a modern way. One of the easiest ways to incorporate a color like blue (or green or purple) is to play with eyeliner. Keeping the rest of your look pretty neutral, with maybe just a swipe of a taupe-colored eye shadow on your lids, line the inner rim of your lower lash line with a fun color. Try Urban Decay’s 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Flipside or Ransom.

If colored eyeliner isn’t your thing, another fun way to add some color to your makeup is to try a bright lipstick or gloss. Coral is always a great color — perfect for spring and flattering on most skin tones. Try something like Clinique’s Different Lipstick in Sweet Honey or Revlon’s Colorburst Lipgloss in Papaya. For something bolder — if you’re daring enough — you can go for a red (or even orange) lipstick.

Spring fashion
Nothing says spring like flowers — or floral prints. Florals are definitely in this season. The runways saw a 70s revival, and with that came bright patterns and colors (and platforms, apparently). This dress from Forever 21 is proof that floral patterns aren’t just reserved for your grandmother’s curtains or your younger cousin’s closet. Be bold this season! Try a dress or romper in a fun, citrus color or a great pattern.

When it comes to accessories, big bangles are back. These are a great way to brighten up an outfit. You can still wear taupe, gray and khaki (the military look is also big this season) if that’s your thing and simply accessorize with some cute bangles. You can also opt for wedges in an eye-catching color and let your feet have all the attention. It’s totally up to you!

Remember, not every spring day is going to be bright and sunny if last week in Chapel Hill was any indication. But that doesn’t mean that we can’t find a way to bring some sunshine into our lives through our makeup, clothes and accessories. Have some fun with your look this season and enjoy the beautiful sunshine when you can.

Photos:
Steve Madden Raincoat (photo): Macys.com
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=535921&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

Sunshine Floral Dress (photo): Forever21
http://www.forever21.com/product.asp?catalog_name=FOREVER21&category_name=promo_sblookbookw&product_id=2000011491&variant_id=01&Page=all&promoType=2

Products:
Steve MaddenRaincoat with Hood, $57.99; Macys.com
Urban Decay“Flipside/Ransom” 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil, $18.00; Urbandecay.com
Clinique“Sweet Honey” Different Lipstick, $14.50; Clinique.com
Revlon“Papaya” Colorburst Lipgloss, $7.49; Drugstore.com
Forever21 Sunshine Floral Dress, $17.80; Forever21.com