Where’d You Find That? (Thrifting Appreciation)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Thrifting is essential to the soul. The journey to becoming a devoted thrifter was not easy, but was well worth it. I used to spend unnecessary coins to keep up with the ever-changing trends and asked myself questions like, “Why shop at high-end retail stores when you could thrift?” As a working college student, I had to change my shopping habits quickly and downscale my spending to balling on a budget. Nowadays I’m always rocking the latest trends for the fraction of the cost and it feels good!

A few friends that I had known were major thrifters. I would have never imagined myself thrifting or wearing someone else’s clothing but I wanted to look fashionably appealing as well as work on spending unnecessary money and that’s exactly why I started thrifting. It’s easy and helpful for all types of budgets, you’re helping others economically, and you could quickly find one-of-a-kind gems. I know I always do. Thrifting is super easy and helpful because you’re not spending two hundred dollars for something that could stain or tear but you’ll be spending one dollar and ninety-nine cents on some super, popular clothing labels. Thrifting makes you feel like you’re a part of some exclusive fashion society and if you’re interested in fashion trends such as me it wouldn’t matter if your outfit came straight out of Goodwill because you’d know exactly how to rock it.

Thrift stores make it easier to figure out where exactly you spent your money. Finding an old polo and some cool vintage pants for about seven dollars will literally save you so much trouble. Another important reason that thrifting should be the new norm would be charity. Many thrift stores directly support charitable organizations such as one of my all time favorites, Goodwill. I honestly love Goodwill because of the wide variety of brands to choose from as well as the thought of helping someone else thrive in this struggling economy. Many thrift stores implement employment programs for homeless citizens so why not help someone? Furthermore, when thrifting you’re always helping the economy prevent waste and pollution, Think about it, thrifting is basically second-hand clothing which means if everyone were to give up shopping at high-end stores and take from thrift stores it would reduce having to constantly produce synthetic fibers. They use raw materials such as petroleum to make these fibers. Ew.

We’ve all been through one of the craziest years, why not possibly help each other and the beautiful world we live in by sharing our hottest fashions? And I don’t even want to get into the logistics of it all, but I most definitely believe thrifting is saving the planet and keeping the majority of us thrifters sane. I honestly have found some of my favorite clothing from shopping at thrift stores, Many of my outfits have gotten compliments and I always appreciate each compliment after realizing that I spent less than twenty dollars on my whole outfit. I have found so many one-of-a-kind gems that have made me feel so exclusive. In my opinion, Thrifting is much more personally rewarding. Whilst reading this article, you should be on whatever device that you’re using to look for the nearest thrift store.