Seasonal Cold: 7 Homemade Recipes to Relieve the Symptoms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Body aches, nasal congestion, coughing and sneezing a lot per day: it’s easy to recognize the main symptoms of a cold. According to biomedical Martha Regina Motta, the common cold is a viral infection of the upper respiratory tract, which mainly affects the nose and throat. Can be caused by many types of virus that enters the body through the mucous membrane of the mouth, eyes or nose, by contact with contaminated objects and people and even through invisible droplets in the air.

When seasons change, brazilian people face lots of temperature oscillations. It increases the risk of getting sick, but that doesn’t happen just because of the cold: stay indoors much longer this time of the year, as well as breathing polluted air, facilitates contamination by the virus.

One of biomedical’s tips is to keep locations airy and avoid unventilated environments. Also it’s recommended to clean your hands, main routes of transmission of germs and microorganisms, with alcohol or soap and water. Another tip is to intensify the hygiene of the house. Make a daily schedule and prioritize the most exposed areas. 

Balanced diet, moderate exercise and good quality of sleep helps you keep your immunity high and reduce the risk of contamination. Foods rich in vitamin C, such as orange, lime and strawberry, are capable of strengthening the immune system, and thus, acts in the defense of the body and protects against viruses that cause the cold. The practice of physical exercises, which tends to decrease during the cold, helps the immune system agility.

Considering that the fluid intake decreases in winter, drinking water and herbal teas is also extremely important. Water hydrates the body and helps in the elimination of toxins. Teas, like lemon with honey and mint, warm the body and its properties makes easier to eliminate the secretions blocking the nose and the lungs.

There is a wide variety of homemade recipes for the relief and combat the symptoms of colds and flu – but never forget to find a doctor if symptoms persist. Here are some of them:

Homemade recipes to relieve the cold

1. Orange juice with lime and propolis – Contains vitamin C, that increases immunity

Squeeze 2 oranges + 1 lemon and sweeten with honey, finally, add 2 drops of propolis extract.

2. Ginger tea with lemon – Contains vitamin C/Anti-inflammatory

Put 1 cm of ginger in 1 cup of water and boil. Add drops of lemon.

3. Apple juice with honey – Expectorant

Put in a blender 2 apples, 1 cup of water and half a lemon. Strain and sweeten with honey.

4. Garlic syrup – Natural antibiotic

Boil 150 ml water and 200 g sugar. Add 80 g of garlic and boil for 10 minutes. Strain and drink 2 spoons per day.

5. Burned milk: To reduce coughs

In a pan, heat a tablespoon of sugar to caramelize. Add a glass of milk, mix well and let it heat up. The recipe helps relieve dry cough and irritation that appears during a few colds.

6. Swiss Lemonade – Hydration

Wash 3 whole lemons and cut them into four pieces. Cover with water and mix in a blender. Strain, sweeten and drink immediately after preparation. You can have a drink every day: lemonade hydrates and is rich in vitamin C, important for recovery during the flu or a cold. The lemonade is also an option for those who don’t like teas.

7. Compress with water and alcohol: To relieve a sore throat

Mix half a cup of water with half a glass of alcohol. Dampen a cloth with the mixture and wrap it around the neck. The heat caused by sponge skin contact brings a sense of relief and comfort in the throat.

It’s always important to remember that these little homemade recipes help prevent and relieve symptoms of colds, but it doesn’t make any miracles. If symptoms persist, consult a doctor!

Casperiana e aspirante a jornalista.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.