Academic Research In Brazil 101: Know All The How-tos Before Starting Your Project

Academic research is not a subject we often talk about in school or use as small talk in elevators, so it is normal and completely understandable if you don’t know what an academic research is and how to get into it, we are here to help you with that.

If you’re starting college this year - even if you have no clue how to do a research like this -, you’re going to hear a lot about this from your veteran friends or from professors, who encourage the ones interested to start planning their inscription because it is a long process that demands a great quantity of documents. And if are already in college, you're probably going to have this experience really soon (and maybe fall in love with it... Or not). So what about getting to know what this topic is about? 

Academic or scientific research?

The first step in the journey of a research is understanding what is exactly what you will be doing for the next few months (or maybe years). Her Campus contacted two researches to get an insider perspective in various concepts and matters related to the theme: Michelle Prazeres, who is Doctor in Education by the University of São Paulo and Master in Communication and Semiotics by PUC-SP, and Débora Chadi, who is Doctor and Master in molecular biology.

Chadi told us that there is not a distinction between both terms: “Here, almost all the scientific research is made in the University, in other words, the Academy, because of that, sometimes academic research is revered as a synonym of scientific research”. Prazeres gave us a meaning to what would be the  “scientific” part, “a research that is oriented, with a methodology, a delimited area of work and a delimited object of study that gives a precise result that can be controlled”.

So it is safe to say that a college student can to both academic and scientific research and even to both at the same time.

State of the Art

Image Source: Pixabay

Michellle Prazeres says that you should look at your surroundings and give a think to what exactly are the subjects that really excite you, because, she says, “There is no use in thinking that it is beautiful to study The Society of the Spectacle if what seduces you are memes. Any object of study is a viable object since you look at it with research eyes and that you can get with orientation”.

You will be looking at the theme that you are interested and your mentor will help you find out what is already done in this area - in other words, the state of the art -  and by what paths you can follow.

Bureaucracy

Image Source: Pixabay

If you have the idea and knows how you can get it done, that is about 20% of the process. The next step is making a formal presentation of your project to the organization that is going to finance your study.

Being a researcher is very time-consuming, so if your inscription is accepted, you will earn a amount of money to dedicate yourself to your study primarily (but if you work already, there are still options for you).

Every university will have a different way to approach the subject and different types of scholarships, but one thing that they all have in common is that you will find information about all the scholarships in their website - and by asking in person on your campus.

It is very important that you pay a lot of attention to what kind of scholarship you re applying to, because that can decide if you will start your study or not.

In Cásper Líbero, for example, we have CIP - Centro Interdisciplinar de Pesquisa (Interdisciplinary Center of Research, in English), so it is an internal process, but it is very common that universities choose to be partners with external programs to offer this possibility to the students.You can also ask professors about tips to get a Master's or Doctor's Degree after college!