books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

4 Books That Make Classical Literature as Great as Always

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The semester is coming to an end and a new era is getting closer, full of happiness, enjoyment and a lot of time to do whatever you want! (YAY) Someone said “vacations”? With these free days that are flying directly into your arms, you can begin to put some forgotten plans in action.

There are those who like watching movies, those who prefer music and the people that is always reading something. I want to talk to the last ones, or to the ones who really want to join the club. If you love reading, I might guess you have some genre to call yours. But let’s talk about one that is always the darling or the hated one, there’s not a middle term: classical literature.

Classical literature is one of the most frightening genres, because of the different vocabulary and themes, but it is an incredible way of discovering the old days and cultures – and even that, in somehow, they are not so different from now. So come on, let’s give it a chance.

Here are some books that might introduce you to this world in the best way!

Credits: Amazon.com

1. Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen

This novel has, as protagonist, the strong minded and young woman Elizabeth Bennet. The story brings typical situations of the period of 1811, like arranged marriage and social pressures on women’s life. Along the book, Lizzie learns how to deal with love (Mr. Darcy <3), wrong judgements, pride and with herself. This reading can not be replaced by any movie or TV series. I assure you that the book can be even more intense and complete.

Credits: BestBolso

2. Dom Casmurro – Machado de Assis

This brazilian classic talks about the messed up love story of the couple Capitu and Bentinho. While Capitu is a confident woman, Bento is a full of insecurities and jealous man. The novel brings a lot of wise questions about life, and the end plants intrigued thoughts in everyone that dares to face it. Ask other friends to read it! It would be awesome to make a circle of debate around the book.

Credits: BestBolso

3. The Great Gatsby – F. Scott Fitzgerald

The most notable characteristic about this novel is the magic, dense and glamourous atmosphere, in which Jay Gatsby tries to conquer his beloved one, Daisy Buchanan. The story is made of ups and downs, dance and drama. Who doesn’t want some of these? You’ll never be bored!

Credits: Editora Ática

4. A Moreninha – Joaquim Manoel Macedo

Taken as the first typically brazilian novel, this book tells the story of four young men that go the island of Paquetá to have some fun. One of them, Augusto, fell in love with a girl named Carolina. However, he remembered that he had already promised fidelity to a girl that he knew when he was a child. So… Now you have to read to discover the outcome! Sorry.

What are you waiting for? Rush to propose to your friends a book club. I’m sure this vacations will be great!

Bruna Frasson

Casper Libero '19

Bruna is a journalism student who doesn't know how to introduce herself, but she assures she is awesome.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.