The lost art of leisure reading: How to get back into it

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Finding time to read for fun in university can be quite a challenge. With a seemingly endless barrage of assignments, course readings and weekly discussion posts, leisure reading tends to take a back seat during the semester. 

Academic fatigue may very well be a big reason why many people quit reading for fun. In university, it feels like all you ever do is read, and this gets repetitive and tiresome. Regardless, there is still an avenue for leisure reading –– you just have to find it!

A 2018 study published in the Journal of Healthcare Communications found that reading is important for numerous reasons, ranging from mental health to brain exercise benefits. With summer inching closer, now is the perfect time to start reading again. Here is an inconclusive list of my ideas for getting back into casual reading! 

Read with a friend

If you have a friend who likes to read, it’s time to give them a call! Picking a book that a friend is currently reading or has recently finished means you can talk about it with someone. It’s always encouraging to share your reading experiences with someone else. We all interpret things differently; it can be a refreshing change of perspective. Better yet, join a book club. Having the support and motivation from others could be just what you need to kickstart your reading journey.

Re-read a book you once loved

Maybe there is a special book you enjoyed in middle school, high school or your first YA (young adult) read. There’s probably a reason why you enjoyed it the first time. Try to find why you liked it and use that spark to rekindle your reading. There’s absolutely no reason you can’t read it again. You might even come across something that you missed the first time.

Select a book with a movie/TV adaptation

Reading a novel that has been adapted for the screen can be enjoyable because there is something to follow. There are often stark differences between the book and the film adaptation. The anticipation and appreciation of the two different mediums coming together are fascinating. Did you like the book or movie better? What parts of the book were left out of the film? Is the film adaptation what you thought it would be? All of these questions can make reading that much more exciting. 

Find the time that works best for you

Just like some people are morning people and some people are night owls, this applies to reading as well. You might find it easier to read a few pages in the morning or sneak in a few pages before bed. It’s all about preference and when your focus is at its peak.

Reading can be a break from work, school and social media

There is a reason why some people employ reading as a form of escapism. Reading can be used to take a break from life’s other demands. Instead of taking a 20-minute TikTok break that inevitably turns into an hour (although those are necessary too!), try reading. Reading offers a relaxing alternative and can be a needed break for your eyes from screens!

Or maybe use social media to your reading advantage

The readers’ side of TikTok, popularly known as #BookTok, is another great place for book recommendations. There’s a subsection of the community for all genres and for people who are trying to get back into reading or are completely new to it. It’s an online community that features an extensive amount of creator conversations regarding books. A come-and-go quasi-book club, if you will. 

Set realistic goals!

Reading for leisure is about you! There is no pressure to knock out a book a week. It could look like reading 10 pages a day or 15. Reading goals could also mean reading for an allotted amount of time a day. It’s completely up to you, as long as it doesn’t feel like a chore. So, take your time. It’s better that way.

Reading for fun can offer some respite from the fast-paced structure of university life. Start small and with something enjoyable. Just like anything else, consistent reading is a habit. Once you prioritize reading it will become habitual and soon enough, you’ll be picking up books for fun and spending hours in book stores (R.I.P. to our bank accounts). If all else fails, go to any book store and ask an employee for a recommendation. Bookies love gushing about their favourites. Their excitement alone can sometimes be enough to spark your interest in reading. 

Don’t forget, audiobooks count too! There are few better things than going on a walk with a Thermos full of tea and listening to a good novel. The first book after a reading hiatus is always a bit challenging, so don’t be discouraged. Stick with it!

Shadea Nance

Carleton '23

Shadea Nance is completing a double major in journalism and film studies at Carleton University in Ottawa, Ontario. She is passionate about reading, watching films, and music (all genres included). When she is not in class you can find her wandering around a bookstore.