Lip Products Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

By Jasmine Law

Spring season is finally here, but it’s just another reminder to make sure our lips are staying hydrated and looking great. Chapped lips can be painful and unappealing, which can really hurt the fun in the sun. Take the time this season to try out a few new lip colours, too! Here’s a small review on one great and not-so-great lip balm, and a few lip shades to try out this spring!

Maybelline Baby Lips Lip Balm

In my opinion, this lip balm has been a little overhyped. I own the colorless peppermint one and the product feels like it just sits on the top of your lips instead of actually hydrating them. My lips don’t feel like they’ve fully absorbed the product and the texture is a little too slick one application. I haven’t tried any of the tinted ones so I can’t comment on those, but the peppermint one has a pleasant scent to it. The mint in it means there’s an immediate frosty cooling sensation when you glide it on, which is pleasant.

Bath & Body Work’s C.O. Bigelow Rose Salve

This one’s a classic. This multi-purpose balm is a super versatile product to carry around, and it looks super cute, too! It’s a genuinely moisturizing product that can be used year-round. It has a similar texture to Vaseline and comes with a subtle hint of rose scent and the tiniest bit of color too. I find the tin an attractive packaging for the product, but sometimes I enjoy stick balms much more as they are easier to just glide on to the lips. Besides putting it on my lips, though, I also apply it to my cuticles when they’re in need of some hydration and protection and this salve does the trick. I always grab for this when winter comes and my lips and cuticles are in need of some extra care.

The Face Shop’s My Lips Eat Cherry Aqua Tint in “Juicy Cherry”

I really like tints because of the instant pop of colour it gives you. This one provides a juicy cherry color, and looks really cute when dabbed onto the centre of your lips. I’m not sure if it’s the most long lasting product, because it never seems to stay after a couple of hours. It does, however, have this luxurious fruity scent to it. This tint comes in three shades, and the other two are essentially darker shades of this cherry red. It’s super cute to use when you want to try a gradient effect, and it also works well if you want to add a clear gloss or lip balm over top.

L’Oreal Colour Riche #505 in “Berry Royale”

The color has a hint of purple in it and really does give off a sultry and more mature vibe. I personally do not know how I feel about darker berry shades on me, but I find the formula more luxurious than most drugstore brands. It goes on very smooth and the pigment is strong. The centre of the lipstick also contains this moisturizing crème that’s supposed to keep your lips hydrated and your lip color lasting longer, but whether or not that’s true is up to you.

Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick

I first received this lipstick for my birthday and fell in love with the formula. It glides on smooth and feels soft on the lips. The color is an attractive shade and is more of a subtle enhancement of my natural lip color. Most outfits would go well with this lip shade, but I think it would really stand out with a black outfit. It’s not too dark that it would be considered vampy, but not too light that it’s not noticeable. It would add a great sense of maturity to anything and is easily wearable.

003 Matte Mauve it Over

I really wanted a matte lipstick and decided to try this one out since I enjoyed the formula of the Revlon Super Lustrous line. It’s a great pink shade that’s really natural and pretty. I’d wear it whenever I’m feeling a bit girly and want to add a pop of pink to my face. Matte is also a great option for those who don’t enjoy the pearliness or shine of a traditional lipstick. Make sure your lips stay hydrated though, whenever you are about to apply lipstick, but especially a matte one!

646 Crème Sultry Sable

Vampy shades are so much fun to try out regardless of the season! Grungy outfits are taken to another level when you apply these shades and I’d recommend this particular one to anyone who is a beginner to the dark shade trend. Sultry Sable isn’t too dark so it’s not quite as intimidating as going with a full-on deep wine color. It looks darker in the tube than it is when applied on the lips. Once layered a few times though, you can achieve a darker lip look.

Keeping your lips moisturized is one of the keys to getting through the beginning of spring. Trust me, you’ll feel so much better the second you apply some lip balm. Experimenting with lip shades is also some of the most fun you’ll have with makeup! Don’t be scared to rock a new look this spring season!