Eye Products Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

By Jasmine Law

Eyes are the defining feature of one’s face. That’s why it’s so crucial to perfect the eye look, whether it’s just another day at school or a fancy night out. When your eyes are looking bright and awake, the rest of your face just lights up and follows suit. Here’s a review of the products I’ve been using to make my eyes presentable, and some tips on what works and what doesn’t.

Shiseido Eyelash Curler

I love this eyelash curler. It’s durable, simple, and easy to use. I’ve had this one for ages and it’s never let me down. I’ve seen so many eyelash curlers in over-the-top colours and unnecessary hardware, like cushioned pads for handles and springs. It’s not rocket science; it’s an eyelash curler. Shiseido’s curler gets the job done with great results and with a simple, sleek dark silver design. At $22, it’s worth the investment.

Tarte Gifted Mascara

This mascara is great if you want a naturally fuller looking pair of lashes. The wand is simple and like any other mascara wand. It gives good length and lasts the whole day. Your lashes will look natural, non-overwhelming and pretty. That being said, if your look includes a more dramatic lash, then this mascara might not be for you, particularly for those nights out where you want your lashes to stand out. Also, the mascara might feel the slightest bit sticky after application, so be patient with them drying. With this mascara, the more coats are definitely the better.

Revlon ColourStay Liquid Liner

I received this eyeliner as a gift and it’s done well for me, but I’d say that there are definitely better eyeliners out there. The formula dries up quick in the bottle, but also on the eyes, which is a good thing. The applicator could be thinner which would make it easier for non-pros like me, but I managed. Make sure to shake the bottle well before using, because I find that the formula can separate in the bottle and your liner will look a little spotty when applied on the eyes.

Benefit Watt’s Up! Highlighter

This highlighter looks incredible when dabbed on the inner corners of the eye. It’s a great pop of light creamy shimmer and will instantly enhance any eye look. I have this in a sample stick size, so that’s probably why application is a lot easier, but I’m sure with the regular size you will get the same effect. I haven’t really used this highlighter on other areas of my face because I’m not looking for a very strong and shimmery highlight, but as a highlight for the eyes, I’m in love.

The Body Shop Lightening Touch Concealer

Concealer is an essential to get rid of dark circles under the eyes, and for a night owl like me, I need this stuff. It’s perhaps why the Body Shop’s Lightening Touch hasn’t been the perfect match for me, because the coverage is very light. For those who need thicker coverage, this concealer won’t do the trick. It also applies as a brush, and you have to twist the dial at the bottom to dispense any product. I’m not too sure if I love the brush applicator but I definitely have an issue with the thin consistency of the formula. This product also is only available in a few shades, but I found that they generally blend into the skin well (probably because of how thin it is).

The Face Shop Design My Eyebrow Eyebrow Pencil

We all know that eyebrows can make or break a face. It’s said everywhere on social media too: the eyebrow game must be on point. Like the Revlon Colourstay Liquid Liner, this eyebrow pencil gets the job done, but I’m sure that there are better ones out there. I feel that other pencils can give a more realistic look. With this pencil, you have to twist it to get the product out, which comes in the form of a wide-edged stick. I really appreciate this fact because that means there’s no sharpening involved. On the other end of the pencil is a spoolie, which is incredibly convenient. You can give your brows a quick brush right before and right after application. There are only a few shades available, so the colours might not suit everyone. Overall, this is a good eyebrow pencil since it gets the job done with a nice strong and lasting colour, and for less than $10, it’s worth it.

So that’s it for now! Watch out for a next review featuring makeup products for your skin, whether its foundation, blush or highlighter.