Poly Places: Avila Beach

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

A quick fourteen minute drive south on the 101 will take you to the perfect escape from the hustle and bustle on campus.

The destination is Avila Beach.

What used to be a popular shipping port in the 19th century has now turned into one of Cal Poly students’ favorite beach-day go to’s.

What makes Avila beach ideal is its small-town charm.

While there are several souvenir shops that cater to tourists, like the Beachcomber Bills and Footseas, Cal Poly students come to Avila for its soft-sand beach and colorful acai bowls at Kravabowl. Not only are there beaches and bowls, but there are also swings. Avila Beach has a set of swings for those wishing to unleash their inner child. Her Campus pro tip: still take caution when jumping off.

On the weekends, you can find families with kids or Cal Poly students tanning in the sun at this humble little beach town. After a long day at the beach, Front Street, the main walking strip along the town, offers restaurants that’ll be sure to refuel you, like Custom House, which offers surf n’ turf dishes to Mission Pizza.

Even though Avila Beach is a small town, it is the perfect escape from the stacks of books Cal Poly students bury their noses in all week.

Megan Schellong is a Journalism junior at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Megan loves puns, NPR, photography and running (occassionally). When she's not writing, Megan enjoys finding new music on Spotify and reading through as much of the news in her Twitter feed as possible. This year will be Megan's second year with Her Campus and she is excited for what's to come!
Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.