It is guaranteed that either you or someone you know has talked about their favorite podcast at the moment, and it’s no surprise that is the case. Podcasts are rapidly increasing in popularity as they are a great way to learn and be entertained auditorily. Especially amidst quarantining in the pandemic, it is no shock that listening to podcasts regularly is on the uprise. In fact, according to Forbes magazine, 100 million people were estimated to have listened to a podcast in 2020. So, with the array of podcasts available right now, everyone ought to find one that they like. 

A niche category within the millions of options is podcasts revolving around music. Whether it be lyrical breakdowns, historical analysis, or impact exploration, music is a form of art that bleeds into all factors of life, and the music podcasts available right now reflect that. 

So, if you fit into the category of music-lovers and you haven’t found that podcast that you are obsessed with yet, or if you are just on the lookout for another podcast to listen to on the way to work, we have got you covered. Listed below are four podcasts specifically catered for those who love and appreciate music as much as we do.

Dissect

The podcast “Dissect” is an amazing deep dive into the meaning behind today’s music. In this podcast, you will hear host Cole Cuchna describe the stories and truly intended meanings behind songs by artists like Frank Ocean, Childish Gambino, Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West, and more. Broken into 40-minute episodes on Spotify, the lyrical analysis and musical breakdown is detailed, descriptive, and will tell you everything you would want to know about your favorite songs. This podcast is a perfect listen on long drives when you want to know more about music that you normally jam out to in the car. 

Black Girl Song Book

The podcast “Black Girl Song Book” on Spotify by The Ringer is a great podcast that honors and highlights the impact of black women in the music industry. In hour-long episodes, this podcast celebrates what women like H.E.R, Ms. Lauryn Hill, Mary J. Blige, Cardi B, and Whitney Houston have done. Additionally, host Danyel Smith gives us historical and personal anecdotes about how black women paved the way for what music is today, while also playing the songs she references. This podcast is great to listen to when you are doing tasks and want to learn a little while you do them. 

Song Exploder

The podcast “Song Exploder” is a fantastically personal look into a wide range of the music industry. In the podcast, host Hrishikesh Hirway asks musicians themselves to describe the meaning and depth of their work while giving backstory as to how and why they made it. This podcast explores the stories behind a large array of music from artists like Tame Impala, Lorde, The Lumineers, Billie Eilish, Weezer, Clairo, and The Killers, just to name a few. Available on platforms like Apple Music and Spotify in 20-minute segments, this podcast is a must-listen if you want to know about the creative process of your favorite artists. 

Renegades: Born in the USA

The podcast “Renegades: Born in the USA” is a unique podcast that consists of engaging conversations between former President Barack Obama and musician Bruce Springsteen. In the podcast, they discuss music, their lives, and more, all in correlation to the current political division of American society. With weighted topics such as race, fatherhood, and money in America, the unlikely pair deep dives into hour-long dialogues with their unique perspectives as American historical legends. So, this is the perfect podcast to listen to when you want to feel like you are conversing with two of the most influential people of the United States. 

Podcasts are a great way to learn more about subjects you enjoy, and there are millions of options out there so that everyone finds one they like. If music is a category you want to explore in the world of podcasts, these ones are the perfect way to learn more about it’s industry, meaning, and history.

Gabriella is a third-year student at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo majoring in Graphic Communication. She is currently involved in Her Campus as the Cal Poly SLO chapter President, and in the past, she has had the roles of Vice President, Social Media Director, Instagram Manager, and editorial writer. She is passionate about writing, making art, volunteering, and pursuing a career where her creativity can be at the forefront. In her free time, you can find her attempting to surf and doodling anything at any given opportunity.