This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

The holidays are finally here, and food tops our family’s list of most important holiday traditions. We spend Christmas decorating, opening gifts, playing games with family, all the while eating nonstop. Christmas Eve dinner is at my grandparents’ house, where we stuff our faces with pasta, potatoes, ham and, of course, a selection of desserts varying from cakes, cookies or brownies. The next morning we wake up to Christmas breakfast my mom makes, usually a casserole with eggs, cheese, potatoes and raspberry pastries. Day turns into night but the gluttony persists. We end up at my aunt and uncle’s house for Christmas dinner, where there’s always something different laid out on the dining table every year. Whether the main course is steak, pork loin, or even enchiladas, we always cherish the meal as a family.

Here are some recipes my mom and I love that can become part of your holiday tradition!

Filo-Wrapped Asparagus
From Easy Vegetarian Cookbook; serves 4

This yummy twist on asparagus and dip will leave your guests satisfied.

For the Dip:
1/3 cup cottage cheese
1 tablespoon low-fat milk
4 scallions trimmed and finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh mixed herbs, such as basil, mint and tarragon
Pepper

For the Asparagus:
20 asparagus spears
5 sheets filo dough
Lemon wedges

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. To make the dip, put the cottage cheese in a bowl and add the milk. Beat until smooth, then stir in the scallions, chopped herbs and pepper to taste. Place in a serving bowl, cover lightly and chill in the fridge until required.

2. Cut off and discard the woody ends of the asparagus and shave with a vegetable peeler to remove any remaining woody parts from the spears.

3. Cut the filo dough into quarters and place one sheet on a clean counter. Brush lightly with water and then place spear at one end. Roll up to encase the spear and place on a large baking sheet.  Repeat until all the asparagus spears are wrapped in dough.

4. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the pastry in golden. Serve the spears with lemon wedges and the dip.

Holiday Hideaways
From Crisco’s 1989 Christmas Cookie Collection; makes four dozen cookies

Cherries and chocolate? Yes, please!

For the dough:
2/3 cup butter-flavored Crisco
¾ cup sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
48 maraschino cherries, drained

For the dipping chocolate:
1 cup white or dark chocolate cut into small pieces
2 tablespoons butter-flavored Crisco

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Cream Crisco, sugar, egg, milk and vanilla in a large bowl at medium speed until well blended.

3. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Beat into the creamed mixture at low speed.

4. Press dough in very thin layer around well-drained cherries. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.

5. Bake cookies for 10 minutes. Cool completely.

6. For dipping chocolate, melt chocolate and Crisco in microwave, stirring after every 15 seconds until smooth.

7. Drop one cookie in at a time and cover with chocolate. Lift cookie out with a fork and allow excess chocolate to drip off. Place cookies on a wax paper lined baking sheet.

8. Chill in fridge to set chocolate.

Walnut Crescents
From a family recipe; makes 4 dozen cookies

These golden brown morsels taste just like Christmas — and there are plenty to share.

For the cookies:
1 cup butter
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons water
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cup flour
½ cup chopped walnuts
Powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

2. Cream butter and sugar. Mix in water and vanilla, then flour and walnuts.

3. Chill for 3-4 hours in fridge.

4. Form dough into small balls, about the size of walnuts.

5. Bake on an ungreased baking sheet for 15 minutes. Do not brown the cookies.

6. Cool slightly and then roll in powdered sugar.

Follow these simple recipes, and you’re sure to impress your family and friends!

This post was contributed by Kaylee Bingham, a freshman journalism major.