The 5 Lip Colors You Need This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

The weather is really cooling down and Christmas is over, but there is nothing stopping you from blasting music and wearing your cozy pajamas.  It’s time for snowball fights and fuzzy socks. Winter outfits are not complete without some new winter lip colors! There is everything from classic dark berry shades to nude barely-there colors. Here are this season’s must-have lip colors!

Matte Lip Creams

It can be hard to nail the matte lip look without making your lips look really dry. Luckily, new formulations have made that a problem of the past! This season you will find matte (and moisturizing!) shades ranging from natural to dramatic colors. Our favorites are from the brand, Lime Crime, they are known for their Velvetine liquid-to-matte lipsticks. Try a matte deep plum, or keep it subtle with a light peach!

Berry Shades

Berry colored lipsticks are a cool new twist on the classic red holiday lip! It is a great way to add a little bit of purple tint to your lips without making it look like it is Halloween! Try a lipstick with a stain finish to give your lips some shine. Or if you want something more natural, try a lipstain! You will get the same color but it will look a lot softer, and will last all day!

Wine Colors

Wine colors are a mix between a berry and a red, and are a fun and unique color for winter! Wine is the perfect color for fun get-togethers with your friends and family.  Rock this lip color with some sequins and long lashes for the perfect party look!

Bright Reds

If you are more of a classic gal, you can never go wrong with a bright red lip! Try something with a glossy finish to add a twist to your look.  If you do not have a glossy red, try layering a clear gloss over your favorite matte shade! When it comes to reds, it is all about the tone. If you have a warmer skin tone, try some brick reds. If you are more of a cooler tone, go for a tomato red.

Mauve

Dark colors aren’t your thing? Fret not! A mauve shade is perfect for those who want a more natural lip. Pair a mauve lip with a dramatic eye look to balance out your makeup, or try it with minimal makeup for days when you don’t want to look too put together.

Whether you are a winter-a-holic like me, or just want a few more additions to your makeup bag, I hope these lip colors inspire you to try a few new holiday lip trends this season!

Anika Kokatay is a first year business major from Los Angeles, CA. She loves making films and writing about fashion. She is also an avid feminist. You can find her taking pictures around Cal Poly, lounging at the beach, or blogging at closetchronicle.blogspot.com. Follow her on Instagram: @anikakokatay
Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.