This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Photograph Courtesy of Pexels.com

Coachella is one of the many music festivals set to kick off this year with other events such as Hard Summer and Outsidelands following its lead. If you are planning to loose yourself to the music and let your inner flower child out this year, here are a few tips to make your experience one of the best.

1. Here’s an obvious one- Sunscreen. You cannot apply enough especially with the sizzling rays basking down on you and your friends this summer. Some music festivals are a bit nit picky and require a new bottle to be purchased rather than a used one, but many festivals do not implement this rule. Check out your events guidelines to ensure that when it is your turn to have your bag checked, it will be a quick and easy one!

2. For you ladies and gents who like to beat your face for those insta pics, I would recommend a light foundation rather than a heavy foundation you would wear to the club. From experience, I learned the hard way that basking in the sun can feel amazing, but also make your foundation look a little cakey. Looking into products that are on the lighter side and can help keep your masterpiece in place until the night is the way to go!

3. Bandanas are not only a cute fashion statement that has versatility, but is a great way to keep dust away from your face and nose! If you are attending a music festival outside, the grass you were grazing on day 1 tends to wither away slowly with all the people walking all over it. Therefore, dust and dirt increases. Coachella for sure has this issue with their history of having dust storms.

4. Music festivals can be a runway show where various people let their spirits out as well as their bold fashion taste! Although, keep in mind that music festivals are usually crowded and, depending what season your event takes place, can be very hot! Therefore, make sure your outfits do not only make you feel like your true, beautiful self, but allow you to feel comfortable sitting on the floor and grooving throughtout the night!

5. Many of the music festivals present an array of food options for you to choose from, but if you are trying to economize, eat a big breakfast/lunch before you head into the event. This way you will not be hungry until late at night and you can either wait to eat outside of the venue or buy a small snack at the event until you head out!

6. Be careful about your belongings! If you decide to bring a purse or a small backpack, make sure you keep an eye on your items. Fannypacks are recommended as they hang in front of you where it is harder for anyone to steal from you. If you do not want to bring a fannypack, you can always turn your backpack/ purse in front of you so you can focus on the moment in time and not about your credit cards! Also, some events offer lockers for you to rent where you can leave any belongings you do not wish to carry throughout the night!

7. Stay hydrated! This is another obvious one, but it cannot be emphasized enough. Especially with summer festivals, you can feel fatigued or thirsty; therefore make sure to bring either a reusable water bottle (if allowed in your events guidelines) or a camelback! Water is also always available inside the venue for you to purchase! Pro tip: Before attending the music festival, it is important to at least keep hydrated the week before your event at the very least. It is important to attend concerts and music festivals hydrated and healthy!

8. If you are planning to stay at a motel or hotel nearby make sure you book a room in advance. Some music festivals attract a large amount of people wishing to get a room as well. Therefore, try to get one as early as possible and be ready to see some of the hotels/motels increase their prices the week of your event! This is a problem especially for Coachella and other large music festivals.

9. This may be a little TMI, but it needs to be discussed. Many of the events do not have actual bathroom facilities, but have portable bathrooms. Some of these events run out of toilet paper or may not even provide sinks to wash your hands. Therefore, bringing hand sanitizer and tissues can be a life saver! We all gotta go at some point so make sure your ready to face those portable bathrooms…yuck!

10. Have fun of course! With these kinds of things, it is easy to get caught up on little issues that do not matter, such as your falsies falling off or feeling gross from a sweaty day, but do not let anything come in your way of experiencing magic happen with your friends. Focus on the bands and artists and the happiness of those around you. Loose yourself to the moment and make it yours. Music festivals are a beautiful thing to be a part of because for a day or two, it is all about people connecting through music in an open field. Once in awhile, put down your phone or camera, and get lost. Get lost in the laughter of your friends and the notes streaming from all the stages surrounding you. You will not regret it.

Photograph Courtesy of Pexels.com

I am a proud Latina sophomore.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!