This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

I want to brace everyone, this article may cause some typical signs of embarrassment in particular pink cheeks. It’s a topic we don’t talk about much in our society; in fact I don’t think I’ve ever spoken about it with my friends but I think in light of International Women’s Day on March 8th we should talk about it. We should make a point about discussing it as it could save lives.

I’m talking about a pap or smear or cervical cancer test.

When you turn 21 in the US or 25 in the UK it’s your time to take the reins and book it with your doctor. However, many women don’t, saying they’ll do it another time when they’re not as busy or it’s too embarrassing or they just can’t face the idea of a stranger being so intimate with them. Some women wait years until they do their first test and others stop once they have children. Let me put it this way. Yes, it’s an awkward situation but do you realise how many times your doctor has done this procedure? I know you may not believe me but your vagina is one of many that your doctor has seen and they will not care; in fact all they care about is your health. 

This simple test that takes under a minute, so seconds could save your life as it prevents 75% of cervical cancer because it tests for abnormal cell changes and HPV. With the opportunity to do it, why wouldn’t you? The good news is once you have it done you don’t need to do it again for 3 to 5 years.

One in three women are overdue on their pap test because they find it too embarrassing according to Jo’s Cervical Cancer Trust. Many women worry about their body shape or what they look like to their doctors, which correlates with women not understanding the importance of a pap test. I’m sure we all know that bodies are complicated and sometimes they go wrong, so it’s important that we look after ourselves and stop giving excuses as to why we can’ t do it. Remember when you were six and your wobbly tooth wouldn’t come out? It’s likely that someone offered to pull it out or attach a piece of string to a door handle – to fix the nagging, wobbly tooth in the moment rather than wait. We should be having the same attitude to our pap tests as a wobbly tooth.

Part of the reason I’m writing this article is to encourage a conversation between young women and help educate by adding resource links as if you don’t understand how important it is or want to learn more. What’s more: it isn’t as scary as you think it is. In fact when it’s over I gurantee you will think “That was it?”

There are two campaigns currently running in the UK to encourage women, in particular young women between the ages of 24-29 to get their smear tests done.

#faceyoursmear and #smearforsmear

I highly suggest you check out these hashtags and learn more about them. If you want more information about the procedure and how it’s done click here.

It’s not as scary as you think to get it done, it is a little embarassing but so is a Brazilian or bikini wax so what’s the difference? What is scary is to not get it done and not hear confirmation from your doctor that you are healthy and ok. If you are reading this thinking “I’m overdue,” please call your doctor and make that appointment. 

Lastly, I want to dedicate this article to all the women who are fighting, have fought, and who are no longer with us due to cervical cancer. 

Photo Courtesy of Pinterest

Rosie Baker

Cal Lutheran '21

Writing Director and Senior Editor for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran. I am in my senior year completing a communication major and creative writing minor. Born and raised in England, I am a British girl California living who loves all things Disney, Friends, and beach related.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!