Looking for a New Podcast? Here's Some Recommendations

As someone who loves to read, but doesn’t always have the time to do so, podcasts satisfy my brain’s desire to read interesting stories or articles while still leaving me free to multitask. Whether I’m crocheting, painting, or doing some chores, I always like to have something to keep my mind occupied. My favorite subjects are stories, history, and the arts, and podcasts can be a great way to learn about all of these things, and more. If you’re looking for a new podcast, here’s what I’ve been listening to lately. 

1. In this podcast, David Tennant (of Doctor Who and Good Omens fame) interviews actors, writers, activists, and more. It’s a fun way to learn more about different aspects within the professional world of the arts and how different artists came to build their careers. It’s also a great place to find out about new books, shows, or other art that your favorite actors and writers have been working on. My favorite episodes so far have been the ones with Catherine Tate, Billie Piper, and Jodi Whittaker.

2. I’ve listened to this podcast about three times. I cut this one on while working in my oil painting class, and it always made the long studio hours fly right by. In this road trip (not a story), Keisha Taylor takes off on a cross-country drive to find the truth about her wife, Alice, after discovering that Alice’s death had been faked. For lovers of horror, suspense, and beautifully written prose, this podcast is for you. Keisha, played by Jasika Nicole, is a fantastically compelling protagonist, and her quiet narration and incredible bravery will have you rooting for her all the way. It is three seasons long, with about ten episodes per season, and there’s even a book for fans who just can’t get enough. My favorite episodes are “The Factory by the Sea” and  “Let’s Break into a Police Station.”

3. This podcast is a great choice for someone with an interest in theatre. Musicalsplaning is a podcast hosted by Lindsay Ellis (lover of musicals) and Kaveh Taherian (hater (?) of musicals), where Ellis makes Taherian learn about musicals, mostly against his will. I have learned so much about not just musical theatre from this podcast, but also film and visual storytelling in general. The shows that they review range from some of the most critically acclaimed recent musicals, to classic favorites, to their current series on musical films. My favorite episodes are “Cats,” “Hadestown,” and “Phantom of the Opera.”

4. Have you ever thought, “Hmm, I would really love to lose sleep for the rest of my life wondering what happened to Storm on the Sea of Galilee, Rembrandt’s only seascape, after it was stolen from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in 1990, along with 12 other works of art?” Well, do I have the show for you. This podcast covers everything the public currently knows about the progress of the investigation into the Gardner Museum heist, and the effort to recover the stolen art and return it to its rightful place. It’s great for art lovers, true crime fans, and anyone who loves a good mystery.

5. Lately, I’ve been really interested in learning more about queer history, and I stumbled upon this podcast while looking for somewhere to start. Not only do they discuss the lives of queer individuals, but they also teach listeners about important events in queer history and review queer representation in media from The Epic of Gilgamesh to Call Me By Your Name. They research and talk about a wide range of lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, and queer individuals in history, and they’ve discussed periods of time from ancient civilizations to the present day. Some of my favorite episodes are the ones on Stormé DeLarverie, Stonewall, and Freddy Mercury. This podcast is also a great place to find other resources to learn about queer history, and it has led me to research things on my own and seek out more literature on the topic. 

All of these podcasts can be found on Spotify.