Highlights from New York Fashion Week

New York's busiest week of the year has begun. Year after year, designers, models, and influencers alike all flock to the streets of NYC to get a taste of next season's hottest trends. Here are some of the most buzzed about and anticipated shows to kick off the month of fashion.

Tom Ford

Tom Ford’s fashion show Wednesday night was the perfect end to the third day of fashion week. His Fall 2019 Ready to Wear line was filled with pieces illuminating simplicity, class, and, like Tom Ford, utterly sophisticated glamour.

Nicole Phelps of Vogue compares his 2018 line, which was filled with loud patterns and bold colors, to this year’s collection boasting in the beauty of simplicity.

Personally, this year’s line has been one of my favorite all around collections yet. Tom Ford perfectly executes the balance between sass and sophistication. Keeping it fresh with moody jewel tones, he let the beauty of high-quality fabric talk for itself. The collection was filled with tailored blazers, silky satin pants, and luxurious fur coats. Take a peep here for yourself. 

Ralph Lauren 

Breakfast at Ralph’s. A beautiful intimate event, with a star,-studded guest list. Ralph Lauren’s Ready to Wear collection perfectly embodied his classic brand image: classy and refined. The collection followed a theme of black, white, and gold detailing, featuring elegant fabric and traditional cuts and styles.

Overall, the line had a few striking pieces, but nothing over the top or extraordinary. The real beauty in the fashion show was the show itself. Set to look like something out of a Parisian brasserie, the models romantically sashayed through the cafe, a setting untraditional for New York Fashion Week. Experience the breakfast here.

Jeremy Scott 

Jeremy Scott flipped the switch with his Fall 2019 Ready To Wear line. This collection displayed a shocking lack of color compared to last year’s collection and a very politically forward theme.

Scott’s theme for this year's line, you may ask? Fake news, and its power on media interpretation. His representation of the theme produced 45 different looks of newspaper black and white apparel covered in patterns of media headlines. The clothes were jam-packed with trigger words, a collection Maya Springer called “very much like falling down the rabbit hole of a never-ending Facebook feed.” The line was filled with full skirts and oversized silhouettes, something for the 90s goth princess in you. Check out the full collection here.

Tomo Koizumi

Named the breakout artist of this year’s New York Fashion Week, Tomo Koizumi stunned crowds by bringing whimsical Tokyo to the cold depths of New York. Koizumi was originally a costume designer for Asian pop stars and celebrities, until magazine editor, Katie Grand approached him on Instagram. He’s inspired by Sailor Moon and the duality between soft and strong. The whole show was put together in 3 weeks, announced only 24 hours before the event. The show was standing room only and featured high-profile models and influencers like Bella Hadid, Joan Smalls, Taylor Hill, and Emily Ratajkowski.

The collection was completely Avant-Garde, a breath of fresh air from the sleek silhouettes we’re used to seeing at NYFW. The whole line followed geometric shapes and featured over the top ruffles and fabric. Koisumi brought something out of an "Alice in Wonderland" dream and made it real life.

Longchamp

Longchamp took us through the decades, mixing 70’s style blouses and flowy patterns with modern leather and boho- yet sophisticated silhouettes. Sophie Delafontaine, creative director, told Vogue “I’m really here to make the woman self-confident.” The pattern and texture combination all together proved her theme and showcased the delicate powerhouse of a modern “on the go” woman, who's both feminine and strong. Peep the collection here.

Prabal Gurung

As always, Prabal Gurung did not disappoint. His Fall 2019 Ready To Wear collection was playful and sleek. The evolution of colors and patterns throughout the show took inspiration from his travels through Nepal and India. Prabal Gurung found a way to perfectly balance and conjoin the bright 80’s colors and silhouettes with New York street and sophistication. The cascade of colors comes to an end when Candace Swanepoel enters in stark white, concluding the show. A beautifully constructed line through and through. Check it out here.