This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

I love everything about fall – the crisp air, sweater weather, jeans and flannels, pumpkin spice everything, maple scented candles, the list goes on and on. There’s just something so magical about the leaves turning shades of crimson and gold and the temperature dropping so you can wear sweaters and booties. Fall is by far my favorite season, so I want to share my must have fall essentials. 

1. Pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin!

Take advantage of this seasonal food selections by adding pumpkin to your palate. Order a Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks or a local coffee shop and don’t miss out on Trader Joes’ seasonal picks. I’ve tried pumpkin ravioli, pumpkin ice cream, and pumpkin and butternut squash pasta sauce. Don’t forget to try other fall flavors as well such as, butternut squash, maple, gingerbread, apple and ginger. 

2. Decorate your room (or your dorm/apartment) autumn style. 

Add shades of red, yellow, orange, green and brown to anything in your room, dorm or apartment. Light up some deliciously scented candles (unless you are in a dorm, then i don’t recommend that) and decorate the outside Halloween themed or whatever fall theme you like. There’s nothing better than bringing the beauty if autumn from outside into your room! 

3. Do fall fun activities with your friends.

Go pumpkin picking, apple picking, really any type of picking. Go on a hay ride, get lost in a corn maze, go to a haunted house, and make some apple or pumpkin pie. Grab your girls and make sure you don’t miss out on this season’s festivities before the first snow starts to fall. 

Photo courtesy of Flickr.com. 

4. Update your closet with sweaters, flannels, and jeans.

My favorite clothes are these three and nothing quite screams fall than rolling up your jeans and putting on the booties. Use the weather changing as an excuse to go through your old clothes to see what doesn’t fit anymore, donate them, and go on a much needed retail therapy trip. Some stores such as H&M will recycle your used clothes and give you a coupon to use in their store in exchange. Not only are you getting a discount on new clothes, but your giving someone else the opportunity to wear your favorite pair of jeans that don’t fit you anymore

5. Try out different types of coffee and tea.

When I think of coffee and tea. fall comes to mind (maybe winter-time as well). There are so many options out there-everything from Starbuck’s Pumpkin Spice Latte to Vanilla and Cinnamon Chai Tea. If you’re a coffee addict like me, hit up different local coffee shops and try out their seasonal flavors. Not a coffee person? Tea can be just as delicious so go to the grocery store to see which flavors you’ll give a go. 

Fall is a beautiful time of year with the scenery outside and all the activities (and food!) you can try. Enjoy this autumn season by trying out my must have fall essentials. 

Allie Stern

C of C '19

Allie is a young public health professional, Guns N Roses enthusiast, cannabis educator, and Home Goods #1 customer. She is an up-and-coming entrepreneur who is passionate about women's empowerment and leadership. When she's not planning out her future on her white board, she can be found playing video games or watching Marvel movies with her boyfriend Amal.