This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Dr. David Dao, 69, of Kentucky was brutally removed from a United Airlines flight in order for employees of the airline to have seats.

Video footage shows a distressed and bloody Dao yelling to have the authorities release him. Passengers on the plane are heard saying, “this isn’t right.” Dao left Vietnam in 1975, he stated that being dragged down the plane aisle was “more horrifying and terrible than what he experienced in leaving Vietnam.” Dao now needs reconstructive surgery to repair the damages.  

So many qustions have arose after this unhumane situation. First, how does an airline overbook a flight? Second, why don’t they offer more of an inncentive for someone to switch flights? Eventually someone will be bound to take another flight if they got offered enough. And third, why were the police there?  One thing we know for sure is that United Airlines has a lot of lawsuits to deal with in the upcoming weeks.

Photo from ABC7 News.

What’s even more disturbing, in my opinion, is the fact that the police officers who violently tried to remove the passenger are on paid leave until this investigation is resolved. United, a multi-billion dollar company, released a not so sympathetic message after the event:  “This horrible situation has provided a harsh learning experience from which we will take immediate, concrete action […] We have committed to our customers and our employees that we are going to fix what’s broken so this never happens again.”

Mr.Dao’s attonrney and family have claimed that this statement appeared to be forced and unsincere, and it’s said that United hasn’t even tried reaching out to the victim personally. The only thing they seemed to do right was refund every passenger on that flight. With so many open ends to this story one thing is for sure, United Airlines does not stand united for their passengers. It’s time we take action and show them that you don’t treat anyone, especially paying customers, the way they did to Mr. Dao.

I'm an animal rights advocate, world traveler, and pizza addict. Lover of new cultures and meeting new people.