woman taking pictures near handrail
woman taking pictures near handrail
Tamara Bellis/Unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Social media outlets have become so ingrained into our everyday lives that they’ve become an extension of our identity. It’s become routine to be “on” almost 24/7 and have instantaneous connection to friends and family. This constant interaction essentially means that we’re never truly alone, unless our smartphones and computers are completely out of sight and out of mind.

Because it’s so normalized to be attached at the hip to social media, it’s more important than ever to stop and think about how constantly using it can affect your mental health. Over the course of this semester, I’ve been completing a group research project for a Communications class about the correlation between these two factors. Through research, I’ve found that it’s become very common for people to gauge their sense of self-worth based on the reception they get from others on their social media profiles.

One article found in Computers in Human Behavior really struck a chord with me. This article highlighted the phenomenon called “Facebook Fatigue,” which happens when people refrain from using Facebook after being constantly exposed to the accomplishments of their peers. It suggests that people are constantly comparing themselves to the perfectly constructed profiles they see, sometimes even subconsciously, which can cause a drop in self-esteem.

Social media can be very beneficial in connecting with others and allowing them to take a glimpse into your life. However, I’ve noticed that the way people treat social media has become more of a business transaction than something used purely for enjoyment. I’ve realized that, the more that I try to build up my profiles on different platforms, the less connected to myself I feel.

I tend to try and stay off of social media as much as possible because I feel pressured by how calculated and contrived it has become. Although it seems silly, it’s difficult to not think about the number of likes, comments, shares, etc. that I’ll receive on a post that I make, and all the implications that come along with them. By thinking in terms of numbers, it gives us a sense of vulnerability in which we feel that what we post is only good if others validate it.

Not everyone looks at social media in a negative light, but I’ve found that even through conversations I have with friends, it’s become more of a commonality to feel worse rather than better after going online. Social media is not always the culprit in worsening mental health, but it can definitely elicit feelings of worthlessness when people feel as though their lives aren’t as glamorous as those they see online.  

It’s important to check in with yourself often and see how you’re really feeling in the midst of this social media craze. It’s become routine to be online so often that it’s easy to forget that we have power over our devices, and not the opposite way around. If I find myself comparing myself to others after being online for too long, I’ll force myself to take a step back and leave my phone in another room for a while. Being alone, without the distractions that constantly pop up on our phones and laptops, is vital in truly understanding ourselves.

Overall, I don’t believe that social media itself is detrimental to mental health. However, when the focus is solely placed on making posts in the hopes of pleasing others, then that’s when it can become dangerous territory. At the end of the day, you should be living your life for yourself, and not for the purpose of appeasing others. Social media is great for sharing bits and pieces of your life with those you care about, but at the end of the day, your health and happiness are much more important than how many “likes” you get.

Images courtesy of Pixabay.

Kelsey Baum

C of C '19

Kelsey graduated from the College of Charleston in 2019 with a Communication major and an Italian Studies minor. If you would like to further delve into the depths of her mind and see what she's up to now, check out her personal blog, RawReveries.com!