My Top Favorite Halloween Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Now, I know there are many, many, many Halloween movie lists out there, but this is my own personal list of my favorite Halloween movies of all time. Halloween is my favorite holiday ever (next to Christmas)! I love how spooky everything is, and how it starts to get chilly and crisp in the air. Unless you are like us, and live in Charleston where fall is still summer. But the best part of Halloween are the movies that are being played online. Whether you like the ultimate horror films, or the cute fun movies that play on Disney, we can all agree that Halloween has the best movies out of any holiday. So, without further ado, my top Halloween movies!

Hocus Pocus

• The OG in Halloween movies in my humble opinion. While it is not my absolute favorite Halloween movie (I’m sorry), it certainly is one of the very best. Bette Midler was a queen in this movie, her honest best. Young Sarah Jessica Parker was just adorable to see. Sean Murray as Thackery Binx, but all I see is Probie from NCIS. Overall, one of the best Halloween movies ever. It will never get old.

(Image Source)

The Nightmare Before Christmas

• My favorite Halloween movie of all time! I won’t lie, I watch it pretty much all year around. Tim Burton is an emo visionary. The music is amazing and so catchy. I sing “This Is Halloween” pretty much all of October and well into November. I am even listening to the soundtrack currently. While many people I have talked to have said that this movie scares them and never want it to watch it again, I can watch It multiple times. Jack Skeleington is a just a huge, boney sweetheart.

(Image Source)

The Addams Family

• Another OG Halloween movie. One of the greatest emo Halloween movies have to offer. Anjelica Huston once again slaying her role. The Mad Scientist from Back to the Future, Christopher Lloyd did a fantastic job as Uncle Fester, and the heart of the movie, Wednesday Addams, the emo icon and the light (or dark) of my life. This is again a movie that I watch all year around.

(Image Source)

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

• The best Halloween musical, with the catchiest songs ever to be created. Tim Curry is fantastic as Dr. Frank-N-Furter. His song, Sweet Transvestite is a freaking tune! The entire musical is so creative and fun, it’s the only sort of freaky, spooky show that can get away with it. Glee also did a fantastic job with recreating this musical, but they still can’t top the real thing.

(Image Source)

The Corpse Bride

• Another Tim Burton movie for ya! Besides The Nightmare Before Christmas, one of Tim’s best Claymation films. Victor Van Dort, voiced by Johnny Depp, is a loveable character who is just trying to fit in and not mess anything up and the Corpse Bride, voiced by Helena Bonham Carter, is a sweetie who just wants to be loved and you grow so sympathetic for her. A great movie, you have to see this movie.

(Image Source)

Halloweentown

• Disney’s finest Halloween movie. With the late Debbie Reynolds, rest in peace angel. Such a cute movie and even better it involves a town where it is Halloween all year-round, really wish this town was real. Nonetheless, this movie is a Halloween tradition. If you haven’t seen this movie, who are you? You’re missing out.  

(Image Source)

Twitches

• One of the original Disney Halloween movies. Very cheesy, but a tradition nonetheless. It’s a must see when it’s Halloween. Tia and Tamera Mowry are super cute in this movie. When you watch it now, you will cringe at just how 2000’s this movie is and how cheesy the spookiness is. But, you will still watch this movie year after year.

(Image Source)

Carrie

• One of the only horror movies I have ever seen. Whether you watched the original or the newest version of Chloë Grace Moretz, it is certainly a scary movie. At least to me, but if you love horror movies, then this won’t be a scary movie for you. But it is by far a great movie to watch during Halloween.

(Image Source)

The Haunted Mansion

• Honestly, a hilarious Halloween movie to ever be created. Eddie Murphey’s comedic genius brain shines bright in this movie. While a comedy, it certainly does not lack Halloween spook factor. This movie is a must see, you will be laughing the entire time, I promise you.

(Image Source)

It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!

• A holiday favorite in my family that we watch every Halloween. It’s just such a cute and heartwarming movie. I mean, who doesn’t love adorkable Charlie Brown and his best pal Linus? Of course, the fan favorite of all time, Snoopy and Woodstock. 

(Image Source)

Donnie Darko

• While not the most Halloween-y movie out there, it still counts as a movie to watch during Halloween. Its a super creepy, super freaky, mindboggling movie ever to be created. It features a baby faced Jake Gyllenhaal who fantastically plays a antisocial freak who has odd dreams of the world ending. If you watch this movie, you will certainly be very confused but love it. Please watch it.

(Image Source)

I'm a junior at the College of Charleston, majoring in History and International Studies. Totally not sure what I want to do but I love writing about important issues. I'm a self-proclaimed professional photographer and a lover of all things space and spooky.