andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Keep Yourself From Going Crazy on Long Car Rides

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

It’s the end of the semester, finals are over and Christmas is approaching. That means one thing: winter break! It seems like it took forever to arrive, but winter break is finally here and with that comes the excitement (or dread, for some) of going back home. If you’re like me and your home is more than an hour away from school, you know the dread you feel when thinking about the long car (or plane) ride that awaits you. Below, I’ve listed five tips to get you through the long trek home that awaits you:

1. Carpool!

This is my number one way to keep the car ride from getting too boring and tiresome. Especially if you’re driving 3+ hours at a time, carpooling with a friend, family member or significant other can make the trip easier and fun since you have a buddy to split up driving time with and keep you entertained.

2. Listen to conspiracy theories and stories on YouTube

One of my boyfriend and I’s favorite things to do on long car rides is to listen to scary/creepy stories and conspiracy theories on YouTube. It keeps us concentrated and prevents us from falling asleep since driving straight on the highway for hours at a time isn’t exactly captivating. It also makes the car ride more fun, as we then discuss opinions about the theories and share terror at the thought of the scary stories we’re hearing. Listening to stories and theories have also helped me when I’m driving by myself, as it gives me something to listen to and think about, causing the time to pass by much faster.

3. Jam out to your favorite playlist

If you don’t have a car playlist, make one! It makes driving so much easier (and safer!) when you don’t have to struggle to skip through songs to find the one you’re looking for. Having a set playlist just makes it easier and a lot more fun when you can jam out to your favorite Cardi B songs without worrying about messing with your phone.

4. Call your mom

Calling your mom or another family member just to talk makes the car ride go by so much faster. A long car ride is a perfect time to catch up with someone, as there’s really nothing else to do but drive straight on a highway for most of the time. So, pick up the phone and call your mom! She would love to hear from you and would probably give anything to be able to have that conversation.

5. Snacks!

Make sure you load up on all your favorite snacks before a long car ride. It’s probably mine and my boyfriend’s favorite thing to do because it gets us excited for the trip ahead and gives us an opportunity to eat all of our favorite snacks. It also saves time and money, as you won’t have to stop frequently for meals along the way.

This holiday season, stay safe and enjoy your time off from school! Take time for yourself to relax and unwind, because we all need it after finals.

Mary Grigsby

South Carolina '21

Hello! My name is Mary and I'm a senior at the University of South Carolina, majoring in Mass Communications and minoring in Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management. In my free time, you can find me binging Friends, walking my rescued pitbull mix, Stella, or volunteering at local animal shelters. I've been in Her Campus since my freshman year and now I'm so proud to be UofSC's HC President and one of our CC's!