This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Television is a major influence in the lives of many people, especially young people. Younger kids are heavily influenced by tv shows and therefore, are easily swayed by what they view. How many kids decide what they want to be when they grow up based on what they see on TV? Think about what you wanted to be as a child, where did you get the idea from it? More than likely you wanted to be a superhero, princess, firefighter, etc., because you saw it on television. How many teen girls base their appearance and success on women on tv? So, why not empower women by showing what females are capable of with shows that feature strong female leads? If you believe in empowering women, here’s a few shows to take a peek at.

1. How To Get Away With Murder

Annalise Keating is a strong woman that is a highly respected lawyer. When she walks into a courtroom to argue her case, everyone knows the power she holds. Heavily respected by students and professionals alike, this woman literally gets away with murder. Not that murdering people is a good influence, but this woman is a true inspiration.

2. One Day At A Time

This show is focused on a mother that served in the army, a grandmother that is a first-generation immigrant from Cuba, and a feminist, headstrong daughter that detests the patriarchy. The grandmother and mother work together to raise a 15-year-old girl and a 13-year-old boy. These women do not let anyone get them down or tell them what to do.

3. Revenge

Emily Thorne wants to get revenge on the family that ruined her father’s reputation and put him in prison for crimes he did not truly commit. She makes elaborate plans to slowly tear the family apart including getting the son to fall in love with her to get close to the parents. She’s a gun carrying, scheming girl that does not rely on anyone but herself.

4. Orange Is The New Black

Even though these women are in a prison mainly controlled by men, they are clearly in charge. When Red is in the kitchen, she controls who eats and who starves as well as bringing in contraband. Alex Vause, an international drug dealer, does not let anyone push her around and even kills a man when it comes down to her life or his. Miss Claudette, although she is older than many of the other women, she is definitely the toughest in terms of not letting anyone tell her what to do. She is feared by many due to her mysterious past and authoritarian attitude. The women each have a story and each is inspiring in their own way.

5. Riverdale

Betty Cooper, Veronica Lodge, Cheryl Blossom, Josie McCoy and each of their mothers are extreme powerhouses. Each of these women are incredibly strong and fearless in their own way. Betty Cooper stands up to everyone in her way and writes riveting articles to break down barriers in the town. Veronica becomes involved in her father’s sketchy business and holds her own. Cheryl loses her brother and only uses it to fuel her fire to take charge. Josie is a musical genius and stands tall even when her band no longer stands with her. While the show also has strong male leads, the women are unquestionably in charge.

6. Young and Hungry

Gabi wants to be a chef for a tech genius, but faces a challenge when a strong male chef almost snags the job. Gabi stands up for herself and earns the job without anyone’s help. Throughout the show, she works hard and tries to be the best she can be. When she fails during an intense cooking competition for a job abroad, she comes back and makes the dish again to prove herself to the head chef. Even when she gets knocked down, she still continues fighting to do what she loves.

7. The Crown

There is no woman quite like the Queen and we all know this. Why be a princess when you can be a queen? Exactly. This show displays a young Elizabeth preparing to take on the crown and rule her kingdom. There is nothing more empowering than watching someone go from princess to ~Queen~.

Hello, my name is Jennie and I am a senior at CofC. I am majoring in English with a concentration in Writing, Rhetoric, and Publication as well as minoring in Women & Gender Studies. I love to spend my time playing with dogs or gardening.