What do you want to be when you grow up?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

As young adults and college students the question of what we want to do with our lives is posed to us on a regular basis. This often sends people who aren’t sure of what they want to do into a state of anxiety and panic. Many people go on to graduate and still aren’t aware of what they want to do and sometimes even go back and get a second degree before they start their career. So, how will you figure out what you want to do with your life? Will you be happy? Will you have a job or build yourself a career? Are you going to wake up and look forward to the day of work you have ahead of you? If you’re unsure of what you want to do, here are some questions that might help you figure it out.

1. What am I good at? You want to pick something that you’re good at and incorporate that into your career. You’re not going to love what you do if you’re constantly struggling and fighting everyday to build your skills up to par with that of you collegiates. You’ll be much happy in a career that is of substance to you and that incorporates skills/subjects that inspire you.

2. What interests you? Take the time to analyze your options and to pick a career that’s going to be in a field that’s of interest to you. These first two questions are imperative to narrowing down a major. If you’re still not sure, maybe take some time off or take a variety of classes that you think could be of interest to you.

3. Get an internship. If you’ve taken classes that you enjoy and have narrowed down a few career options, see if you can get into an internship. Getting an internship is incredibly important to understanding the field of work that you’ll be going into. It’s one of the best ways to see if the career path you’ve picked will be right for you.

1. Talk to people in the major you’re looking at. Talking to students that are in that major is a great way to gain some idea of the classes you’ll be taking and the workload that you’ll have throughout your 4 or 5 years of undergrad.

2. Consider trade school. If you haven’t found something that you love it at your university then going to trade school could be an option for you. It’s a great field that is slowly dying out and can actually allow you to make more money than some people that have college degrees do. College isn’t for everyone and it’s more than okay if it’s not for you. As my dad always told me growing up, “Not everything, is for everyone. If that was the case, everyone would be doing everything.”.

I hope these tips help you find your path whether it’s at a university or elsewhere. These questions have really helped me throughout my education and have allowed me to discover parts of myself I didn’t even know existed. Good luck ladies and remember that everything will work out the way that it was meant to! XO!

Nancy Acosta

Buffalo '20

Nancy is currently a Junior here at the University at Buffalo and is Campus Correspondent for the UBHC Chapter. She is majoring in Communications with a dual minor in International Trade/Geography and Political Science.