The Toxicity of Social Media: “Baby Mama Drama”

Social media can be an extremely positive influence, but as the saying goes, with every seed of good, there is always a piece of bad. This is extremely prevalent in the culture around being a “baby mama,” especially one to a rapper, or other celebrity of status. Every aspect of their family life tends to be exposed to the media. The good, the bad and the ugly and gives everyone who consumed the media to leave their opinion on it. TheShadeRoom comment section being the perfect example I can give. This time, I wanted to specifically touch on an issue that has happened very recently in the media, which is the situation between Ari Flecher, Taina Williams and rapper, G Herbo.

If you didn’t already know, Ari came to social media to expose the wrongdoings of Taina, the pregnant fiancé to GHerbo, the soon to be stepmother of Ari’s son, Yosohn. Ari claimed that Taina put her hands and hurt Yosohn, an issue that she gave Taina and Herbo a week to reach out to her with a solution for, to which she received none and proceeded to call them out on social media.

This obviously sent the media in frenzy, leaving many to express their take on the situation on various platforms, (TikTok, Instagram and Twitter) and it has since been a topic of debate. The comments have been filled with people debating what actually happened in the situation, who was right/wrong and whether the prior history of the three adults involved played a role in the way the situation unfolded. The audience that this situation created were not the only people trying to understand the situation, and it became more confusing as the back and forth between Ari, Herbo and Taina over the internet continued.

GHerbo replying to Ari’s claims on TheShadeRoom

As the situation progressed, and every party got involved by expressing their feelings about the situation on social media, the situation continued to spiral, and every bit of it was reported on by the Shade Room and commented on by tens of thousands of people.

The main question that needs to be asked is this: did this situation need to be put on social media to begin with? This particular situation involves a host of issues: exposing others on social media, violence, coparenting, blended families, proper treatment of children, and the list goes on. As a mother, Ari has every right to question GHerbo and the way that he parents their shared child and to be concerned about the way her son is being when he is not in her care. Does the situation get resolved when it is brought to social media? Is it worth it to have thousands of people commenting, berating you and everyone involved, and inserting themselves into your situation when all you wanted to do was do right by your child? How will that effect your child? Is it worth having your child’s character called to question?

This situation is only one example of the many that can be used to show how “Baby Mama Drama” thrives on the internet. This isn’t the first time this has happened, and it certainly will not be the last. It is a prominent issue that shows itself every other month, and if you are on social media, I am sure you can list a few people from the top of your head that have been in situations like this, an example being Summer Walker and London on da Track a few months ago. Not only does the situation usually spiral into more internet drama and abuse, but it continues to perpetuate this baby mama stereotype, the same one commenters were trying to force on Ari, calling her “bitter” towards Taina and negatively altering the way her son perceives her. The internet gives other people the space to understand you and your perspective or debate you, argue semantics and spin false narratives.

I want to conclude with a question: Does putting your family affairs in the open for the whole internet to decide with you do more harm than good? Does it do any good at all?

A UB student double majoring in Psychology and Criminology, activist, coffee enthusiast, music and fashion lover. She loves using Her Campus as a medium to express her many passions, from self-care, fashion, movies, and books to activism, criminology and psychology.