Campus Cutie: Maria Pollack

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

Maria Sarah Pollack

Hometown: “East Amherst, but I like to say Buffalo!”

Relationship Status: “Single pringle!”

Major (courses): Biological sciences major with a minor in spanish

Describe yourself in three words: “Joyful, corky and loving.”

What is something about you that most people don’t know? “I like to collect weird socks, I think life is too short to wear serious socks!”

What’s your idea of a perfect date? “Something fun! Some place where I can dress up a little bit, not like a ball gown or anything but somewhere I can definitely dress up. We can go out, have fun, laugh, and maybe even dance! If a guy can make me laugh, he’s in.”

What are your turnoffs? “Someone who is really into himself! For example, the more you talk about your muscles the less impressive they become to me. Unintelligence, just being unintelligent just drives me wild if you can’t carry a conversation about anything other than just stupid stuff.”

If you could travel to one place right now without money being an issue where and why? “I would go…that’s a tough one. I think I would go back to Ecuador to volunteer there again, it was the best summer of my life. I was free and on my own, I met amazing people and my Spanish improved a ton. I loved working with the kids I was working with, I loved traveling around the country and trying the food and completely immersing myself in the culture which is really cliché but it was just fun. I had no worries…nothing to worry about and I wish I could go back to that!”

Are you currently reading anything? “I am, I’m reading Catcher In the Rye. I really like American classics and I felt that was really a big gap in my repertoire because I had never read it.”

What is one mistake you’ve made in college and what did you learn from it?  “Hmm…I don’t know how serious to get! I think I spent too much of my time in a relationship in college, it didn’t let me just be me on my own. It’s been really nice doing my own thing for a while.”

Where do you see yourself in five years? Maybe ten? “Five years hopefully just about to graduate medical school and getting into a residency that I’m really going to enjoy, maybe women’s health. We’ll see! The world’s my oyster, right?”

What is one quote you’ve always held onto? “The quote is, ‘I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult,’ by E.B. White who wrote ‘Charlotte’s Webb’”.

As a Latina beauty blogger, it is very important to reach out to these bilingual communities. As an addict to the fabulous world of beauty, I hope to seek public media as a career. I create relatable beauty content that both influences and creates conversation for a Latin audience. As a previous intern for Cosmopolitan for Latinas and O, The Oprah Magazine, I have worked amongst successful women which have helped structure my future goals. These experiences have motivated me to follow my passions, inspiring women to embrace their beauty and uniqueness is what I wish to promote and live for.