2013 From A to Z

Kale

Kale has hit grocery stores, markets and restaurants in a major way. High in beta carotene, vitamin K and C, lutein and rich in calcium, kale is the newest super vegetable. Try it sautéed with garlic, braised with bacon and cider or with some farfalle and sausage.

Runner Up: Kombucha

Kombucha is a fermentation of sweetened tea. In other words, it’s a colony of bacteria and yeast. Hoards of stars drink it to “detoxify the body and energize the mind.” We, here at HC, still don’t get it.

Liam Hemsworth

Let’s state the obvious. Engaged to Miley “Pixie Cut” Cyrus. Star of the “Hunger Games.” Insanely hot. Thor’s baby brother. But now, let’s examine the not so obvious. Hemsworth is coming out with at least three new movies this year, Love and Honor, Timeless, and Empire State proving his acting chops.

Maddow (Rachel)

Rachel Maddow is the host of The Rachel Maddow Show on MSNBC, the first openly gay anchor in the U.S. and a self-proclaimed liberal in a sea of conservatives. Smart, honest and fascinating, Maddow is paving the way for a different kind of role model for women, and we love it! 

Nighttime Braids

Braids aren’t just for day anymore. Elegant braiding can carry you through the night whether at a bar or a black tie event. Try a “chicken braid” or side braids into a half twist for a nighttime look.