Why It Is Acceptable to Start Celebrating Christmas Before Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’m the type of person who wants to put up Christmas decorations the day after Halloween. I just love getting into the holiday spirit earlier and not ending it until around Valentine’s Day. And I know that so many other people do the same exact thing. No matter what holiday you celebrate, everyone seems to get into the “winter holiday mood” before Thanksgiving has even happened. Now some people think this is ridiculous, and those are the type of people that scream “it’s not even Thanksgiving yet!” at the girls sipping peppermint mochas blasting “All I Want for Christmas Is You.” But personally, I think it is absolutely acceptable — and even better — to start celebrating Christmas (or your respective holiday) before Thanksgiving, because it gives you a longer span of time to relish in the holiday atmosphere.

One reason why it is acceptable to start celebrating Christmas before Thanksgiving is that Christmas brings the coziest feelings into your home. The hot chocolate, movies, cozy blankets, and decorations — everything creates a warm and inviting dynamic that makes every household event even better. Thanksgiving indeed falls into this category of “household events,” so starting Christmas earlier just amplifies the Thanksgiving experience. Also, Christmas helps to put you into a better mood before dealing with that specific annoying relative at the Thanksgiving table!

All jokes aside, celebrating Christmas before Thanksgiving should be absolutely acceptable because it brings warmth into the home, despite the chilling weather. Everything within the house will simply be better for a longer period of time. In a similar vein of thought, Christmas is great to start celebrating earlier because the aesthetic is simply better than Thanksgiving’s. Most people do not get pumped about gourds, cornucopias, and turkeys, but people love snowmen, trees, and cookies! Not to discredit Thanksgiving and its importance for reuniting families, but overall, it is simply less pleasing than Christmas. And why would someone want to focus on a less pleasing aesthetic before getting to Christmas if they could just sandwich Thanksgiving with the holiday spirit?

To that end, I fully believe that it is acceptable to start celebrating Christmas before Thanksgiving, and no one should ever be told the contrary.

So embrace this cozy season as soon as you can! It most certainly is the best time of the year.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Boston University 2025 International Relations Student Lover of dogs, coffee, and movies :)