Unexpected (Money Making) Jobs To Consider Post-Grad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As the spring semester hurtles forward and begins to come to a close, the bittersweet presence of graduation nears. It’s that time of year when many seniors may be asking themselves those existential questions we all try to avoid: what am I going to do with my life and how am I going to get a job? In a day and age when we are entering an extremely competitive job market, prospects for success may seem bleak. Securing a lucrative position out of college can be one of the most difficult endeavors of our youth, especially for individuals who may be less certain about what path they want to pursue. For those simply looking for a means to an end before they can break into their desired profession, or for those who may be ultimately unsure of their “true calling,” these inconspicuous jobs can be the solution to such anxiety. From the wacky to the more conventional, here are some of the most unexpected jobs that can earn you money straight out of college:

1. Bar tender

Bar tending requires minimal training (completing a certification program) and can be an exciting and well-paying venture. The job typically allows considerable free time during the day, as employees often work late shifts. On average, bar tenders make between $45,000 and $73,000 annually from tips, while some experienced bartenders can rake in an excess of $100,000 per year.

2. Professional taster

What could be better than getting paid to eat ice cream or drink wine all day? Professional tasters get to do all this, and more. They try out the latest food products from companies and report on overall qualities such as taste, consistency, smell, and feel. Although the job may sound trivial, the feedback from professional tasters is extremely important in influencing food ingredients and marketing strategies. The salary of a professional taster ranges from $17,000 to $33,000 per year.

3. Professional shopper

We all love shopping; nothing can compare to the thrill of indulging in a new pair of heels or a luxurious cashmere sweater.  But what if you could make a living by purchasing the latest pair of Jimmy Choos? As a billion dollar industry and essential part of our culture, fashion can be an extremely lucrative business platform. Professional shoppers are either self-employed, working with high profile individuals who just don’t have the time to stock their own wardrobes themselves, or are employed by large corporations or department stores. Depending on their notability and clientele, professional shoppers can earn anywhere from $25,000 to over $100,000 per year.

4. Start a website

For those with a uniquely industrious spirit, starting a website can generate a substantial cash flow. In a decade when the internet is overflowing with a multitude of blogs and other media outlets, starting your own website may seem like a cliché. But to be truly successful, this endeavor requires a great deal of passion, creativity, and determination. Create a focus for your site that will offer readers an individual perspective on something they want to learn about. Through a website, you can earn money from ad impressions, broker agreements with sponsors or partners, or sales information your readers find desirable. By utilizing social media and vigorous self-promotion, websites can rake in up to $100,000 dollars per year and can earn invaluable recognition from other notable publications.

5. Cruise ship entertainer

Imagine singing and dancing on the high seas, all with free living accommodations and inclusive meals. For those with a passion for performing, or who have any sort of musical talent, the job of a cruise ship entertainer may be a suitable choice. Its benefits include a high-energy atmosphere and the ability to travel around the world to various exotic locations. Positions include comedians, dancers and dance instructors, singers and musicians, and disc jockeys—all with salaries varying accordingly. A performer can make anywhere between $20,000 (for those just starting out) and $84,000 (for those who are more experienced with star roles).

6. Standardized patient

Universities are always in need of test subjects, so this job may come as no surprise. As a standard patient, you will act as a victim of a particular disease. By emulating the symptoms of an illness, you can help medical students make diagnoses, question patients, and improve bedside manners. The job is intermittent and part-time, perfect for those looking to make quick, easy money. Although it lacks consistent hours, it may be a more desirable option than the typical waitressing gig as standardized patients receive an average starting rate of $15 an hour.

7. Netflix tagger

Getting paid to watch Netflix may seem like a dream, but it could be your reality; you can turn your binge-watching habits into cold, hard cash. Netflix has recently begun hiring “taggers” to become intimately familiar with the movies in the Netflix catalog. Taggers help determine what films are most desirable and popular among viewers and guide film selections for Netflix categories. The company’s vice president would not reveal just exactly how much taggers are paid, but he estimated that the freelance job could earn someone as much as a couple hundred dollars a week.

8. Beer auditor

Similar to mystery shoppers, beer auditors get paid to assess a business’ customer service and procedure. Beer auditors purchase beer at establishments and note whether they are carded by the store’s employee. Each visit requires only about 10 minutes to complete an assessment, and beer auditors are justly compensated for their time, earning up to $5,000 a month. The best part? They are reimbursed for the beer AND they get to keep it. 

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.