Life > Experiences

What My Greek Heritage Has Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I am not only French — I am also Greek.

Ever since I was a little kid, I have spent my summers in Greece, making it my second home. I remember playing in the sand while surrounded by the voices of my Greek cousins. I know the Athens airport better than any other place in the world. It symbolizes a beginning and an end for me — it is where my grandfather always welcomes us into his arms, and where we say goodbye to him before we go back to France.

Despite the Greek stereotype of being stubborn and loud, it comes from a place of pride — we are proud of our cultural heritage, our delicious food, and our awe-inspiring islands.

Yet we also value community, shown through how passionate, caring, generous, kind, and welcoming we are. We look out for one another and make sure that no one feels left out. If that means spending two days cooking for 27 people or welcoming “cousins” that we’ve never seen before into our homes, we do it with a smile on our face. Despite our broad definition of the word “family,” we are tight-knit — we cook, dance, laugh, celebrate, love and live together.

Being Greek has taught me that there is no fun in building up walls to protect ourselves from strangers. Through my heritage, I’ve learned to grab another chair and welcome new friends at the table; to open my hands and invite them to take part in the dance — simply, the more, the merrier.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Ariane is a senior at Boston University pursuing a dual degree in Journalism and Political Science with a minor in Public Relations. She loves exploring coffee shops and hanging out at the Harbor. When she's not writing and editing for Her Campus, Ariane talks about women's achievements on her radio show "Ladies of History."