Sabor Latino: Connecting Cultures Through Dance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

by Maria Ordoñez and Kayla Haubert

Let’s be honest, navigating Splash at Boston University is like trying to get through a war zone. By the time you’re done clawing your way through the mob of bodies on Nickerson, you don’t even remember what clubs were there, let alone what you signed up for. All you have to show for it is a pocket full of swag and an inbox full of emails.

In all the chaos, it can be hard to find a club that’s actually right for you, and on the flip side, it can be easy for up-and-coming student organizations to go unnoticed. One of those hidden gems that you might have missed is Sabor Latino. Team President, Chastyty Escobar, describes it as, “a Latin American inspired dance team that specializes in traditional dance styles such as Salsa, Bachata, and Merengue, while also fusing modern dance styles.”

If you were looking for them outside of Splash, you’d probably find them performing at different multicultural and minority events at BU and other schools in the Greater Boston Area. Through dance, Sabor Latino hopes to build a community that spreads love for Latin American culture. But don’t let the name fool you, the team is open to students from all cultural backgrounds.

This past week, Sabor Latino held their annual try-outs, where they look for individuals with lots of energy and a passion for dance – no prior experience necessary! If that sounds like you, but you weren’t able to make it to try-outs, don’t stress, because you can still get involved. Sabor Latino holds workshops throughout the year, where they teach students different styles of dance.

The workshops are open to everyone and set up a lot like the try-outs. It starts with everyone learning one of Sabor Latino’s dance routines together as a group, and then splitting up into smaller groups to show off what you learned. It’s a fun, no-pressure environment with great music and even better people.

If you’re looking for a way to get active and meet people from similar and/or different backgrounds, then keep an eye out for their workshops throughout the year. You can also connect with Sabor Latino by checking them out on social media:

Instagram: @saborlatinobu

Facebook: Sabor Latino BU

Twitter: @saborlatinobu

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.