This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’m trash. I find movies I enjoy and I watch them a hundred times over until I can recite the script. I quote Twilight, The Notebook, and The Devil Wears Prada multiple times a week and I can honestly watch my favorite movies in my head.

Ten years ago, a cinematic experience made its way into theaters, courtesy of Summit Entertainment. Twilight, starring Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson, skyrocketed into popular culture, and 2008 was the beginning of an iconic era.

When the movie was released, there were extremely strong opinions on it — you either loved it or you absolutely hated it. I loved it. I watched it, talked about it to my family and literally got every member of my family on the Twilight train. We went to every midnight showing, we read all of the books, had book discussions. We even had movie release parties, the whole ridiculous nine-yards. To this day, I watch the series like two or three times a year; it feels like home.

Less than a month ago, there was a “Twilight Renaissance,” where internet people took popular 2018 memes and combined them with Twilight. You can find Buzzfeed’s article here, or more importantly, you can enjoy my favorite memes from the renaissance.

Credit: Tumblr

As if a sign from heaven, 2018 marks the ten-year anniversary of Twilight and let me tell you, I’m emo. The movie was released back into theaters for two special nights and of course I went, and dragged my best friend with me.

Credit: Jericha Tavares

Rewatching my favorite movie in theaters was an EXPERIENCE. The theater was filled with wine-drunk 18-30 year olds reciting the script. In the words of my newly-made friends, “I’ve found my people.”

There are way too many i c o n i c scenes in this movie, but Muses’ “Supermassive Black Hole” during the baseball scene was is easily the best scene of the 2000s. Also two Paramore songs in one soundtrack? It’s a blessing.

Twilight has aged beautifully if you ask me. It’s pure cinematic gold while simultaneously being trash — even those who love it can admit this. Here at Her Campus BU, our opinions still remain aggressively split between those who like it and those who hate it or aggressively mention Harry Potter (Which I don’t understand because enjoying Twilight has nothing to do with Harry Potter but I digress).

Regardless of whether you love it or hate it, KStew and RPatz will be forever ingrained in 2000’s culture, and Freeform is going to perpetuate their legacy for at least another decade.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Jericha is a senior at Boston University studying Psychology and Public Health. In her free time, she enjoys listening to music, especially country and worships Taylor Swift and the band Joseph. She enjoys food and thinks avocados are too small for how expensive they are. When school is out of session, you can find her skillfully avoiding sunshine - working at Boston Children’s Hospital.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.