This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Sometimes we want to be inspired by experts and entertained by stories. Other times, we are sick of the music we’ve been listening to and just want background noise playing in our ears. This is where podcasts come into play. I’ve become an avid podcast listener in the past few years, and I’ve seen the evolution from radio news podcasts to the influencer takeover of this auditory medium. Here are five of my favorite podcasts:

The moth

The Moth is my go-to podcast, especially for long runs when I want to be distracted. The production comes from live shows held throughout the country where anybody can audition to share their story. Each episode consists of three individuals telling their own story at any of the live shows that The Moth hosts, and usually all three stories are connected by a similar theme. These tales can be about anything, from a women’s journey to reconnect with her anonymous organ donor to a man recounting his escape from his war-torn home country. Many of The Moth episodes have left me speechless and in awe.

How I built this

In How I Built This, host Guy Raz speaks with entrepreneurs from some of the world’s most successful businesses to ask the question — how did they build it? Although this is a suitable podcast for someone interested in starting a business, I find it more entertaining than anything. Each of these business owners has a very different upbringing and path that led to their success. It’s compelling to see how the smallest decisions brought them to where they are now. If you want to hear stories from unique and inspiring characters, How I Built This is the pod for you.

Gals on the go

Listening to Gals On The Go feels as if you are watching a classic lifestyle YouTube vlog but without the visuals. Hosted by influencers Danielle Carolan and Brooke Miccio, this podcast explores the lives of two 20-year-olds living their dreams in New York City. This podcast is best for getting ready or multitasking since it is so easy to listen to. Something about Daniel and Brooke ranting about their lives or sharing advice is comforting. It is hard not to get invested in their lives after listening to this podcast.

The morning toast

Similar to Gals on the Go, The Morning Toast is another lifestyle podcast by two girls living in New York City. Influencer hosts Jackie and Claudia Oshry record daily episodes, both as a podcast and YouTube stream, and report on pop culture news. Jackie and Claudia bring a comedic voice to these reports about anything from celebrity gossip to more serious news stories in the entertainment industry. More than anything, it is entertaining to listen to the banter between the sister hosts.

“This American life”

If you do want more serious stories, This American Life is for you. It is an NPR podcast that reports on stories from around the world through an investigative, journalistic style. Each week’s episode follows a different theme and takes listeners through stories of triumph, tribulation, and everything in between. You hear from hosts, interview subjects, and outside audio — all from locations relating to the story. It is a long-time classic in the radio and podcast industry, but it is still an amazing and engaging listen.

There really is something special about having an unseen, secret person talk to you during your morning routines, daily commutes, and workout sessions. I hope you enjoyed my top picks!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us onFacebook, follow us onInstagram, check out our Pinterestboard, and read our latestTweets!

Lauren is a sophomore at BU studying Film and TV in the College of Communications with a minor in Journalism and International Relations. She is from Colorado and loves to snowboard, hike and travel.