Evaluating My Life for National Evaluate Your Life Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I rolled out of bed this morning at 10:00 and stayed in bed (coffee in hand, of course) all day. I went on Snapchat and Instagram and listened to Lana Del Rey. I did some “online window shopping” and read theSkimm. I didn’t open any emails and I didn’t start my homework until late afternoon (or evening – whatever you want to call it). It was such a contrast to my typical routine – up at 6 AM, running by 6:30, breakfast while studying at 9, class from 10 ’til 3, work, meetings, and homework. 

This kind of lazy day is the type that my friends and I used to call unproductive and a waste of time. I often get caught up in trying not to waste time. I pack my day full of productivity to use up every second of daylight that I can – to feel accomplished, to make an impact, to work my way up, to thrive – for many positive reasons. However, sometimes I feel like I get so caught up in trying to do everything and not miss out on anything that I forget my convictions and my reasoning for why I am involved in the things that I do. 

Over the past two months, I realized the rationale for why I am doing important things and trying to “go places” with my life was being compromised by my failure to stop and breathe for a second. So I made a few promises to myself:

1. I will not take on too much. I will set boundaries, learn how to say no, and realize that signing up for responsibilities is important when you don’t sign up for all of the responsibilities at once.

2. I will reflect on my achievements and my failures. I have been keeping up with my journal, and not only does it make me think more clearly, but it has taught me a lot about myself. I am able to remember little things about each day that made me smile in the moment.

3. I will have the mindset of taking life one thing at a time with the big picture in consideration. This way I won’t forget about the end goal and I will be motivated by the mission behind my tasks.

I love being busy, but I also love the days where I can be a sophisticated mess and simply enjoy my body sinking into my mattress. Self-care is important. Mentally, physically, and emotionally – it is all connected. I try to make sure that all three of these are satisfied because if one is lacking the proper care, the others are likely to be lacking care as well.

Evaluating my life: I am so happy with my life right now. Looking back on previous years and thinking that at the time I was okay with being merely content with my life makes me feel upset. Life is weird and adulting is hard, but learning from where your mistakes happen is what makes adulting both easier and actually fun.

Take today to reflect on your life. Make a list, write in your journal, do whatever you need to do – think about what is working and what isn’t. Make sure that whatever you may be involved with is something that you are doing with purpose and that you care about. Live with intention.

Ronnie Finley is a sophomore at Boston University studying Public Relations. She is from South Florida and wants to live in Seattle someday. Ronnie is always ready for adventures and exploring Boston, especially if there is coffee involved. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.