Essentials To Pack For Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Summer is right around the corner and it’s going to be the end of finals week before you know it. You should start packing now so you won’t rush and forget something last minute. I’m going to pack all the “boring” stuff first like kitchen utensils, bedding, etc so after finals, I can completely focus on clothing. I’m going to tell you how to organize your time and days so you can pack up your dorm without any additional stress.  Pick a day a day where you’re “free.” You know those days where you have one or two classes and then you go home or to the gym and just chill? Don’t relax this time! Go back to your dorm and start packing. Or at least put all the kitchen supplies that you’re not going to use, bedding, textbooks, (anything that you haven’t used in two weeks) all in one pile and label it “College Stuff” so you’ll immediately know what the suitcase is when you get home. 

Then after getting the big things out of the way focus on clothes. Pack or put away everything that you haven’t used in one week. Winter coats, sweaters, half of your jeans, boots. It’s May! You don’t need all that anymore. Leave only the essentials, which brings me to my next point.

What you shouldn’t pack (just yet): Shorts, raincoat/rain boots, one or two cover-ups, two pairs of shoes (sneakers for the gym and everyday shoes) and two pairs of light pants. Then makeup/skincare: I highly recommend putting away your hair strengthener/curler, big bottle sprays, large perfumes, etc. You probably will use all that in the summer to give your hair/skin a break now. Leave only the essential makeup. Do you have more than one eyeshadow palette? Keep one, store others away. Do the same with other makeup products. Keep one from each category and put others away. Worst case scenario you can always take them out if you really want to use them but for now, it’s all about having space. If your room will be clean you will focus more on your finals and won’t rush to pack when they’re over. 

I hope I’ve convinced you to start packing earlier for summer break. Your last two weeks of college should be prioritizing your time to study for your finals, not packing.

At the end when your exams are over and you feel accomplished and amazing for all your work, you’ve done this school year you should just finish up, not start from the beginning. Good luck with finals! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.