alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Reasons Why New Year’s Resolutions Suck (And How You Can Fix That)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s that time of year again…you know, when you’re determined to be healthy and floss every night. Just a disclaimer: I am not writing this article to be pessimistic. I’m just being realistic and trying to hype up my fellow strong ladies!

So, here are the exact reasons why New Year’s resolutions suck and how you can fix them.

1. Nobody has enough patience to wait for outcomes.

We barely had enough patience for Stranger Things season 2 to come out…how will we keep these draining and challenging resolutions and follow through? Pretty simple answer… There is no need to achieve everything in one year…it may be that you have the same resolution a couple years in a row and that is perfectly fine.

How to fix it: Realistically, not everything will be worked out in 12 months…take 24 months, 36, even 48. Be patient with your resolution because you are capable of anything if you give it time, effort, and tolerance. 

2. You have bitten off more than you can chew.

For example, someone may want to lose weight and eat better––which is admirable––however, it is just as important to be realistic with what is doable. You are not only a college student, but a human being, which makes it very challenging to lose 30 pounds in a month…I know it sucks.

How to fix it: Set realistic goals. Instead of telling yourself that you will lose 30 pounds in a month (which is not only impossible but unhealthy), commit to going to the gym two days a week or eating a salad a day. Those little things really will make a difference and you will be able to function in the meantime while feeling strong and confident.

3. Often times, people only look to fix their surface, not what’s beneath.

I have met way too many people (and may or may not have been one of those people) who said they would be 50 pounds lighter in 3 months. Again, this is unrealistic. It’s not your fault that those are your goals… it’s society’s fault. We were taught that the outside of our bodies matter more than the inside, but that’s just false.

How to fix it: Try setting a goal for your own mental health or improving a personality trait. Be healthy and take care of yourself, but don’t let your exterior take precedence over who you are on the inside. It’s a lot easier said than done, but we are strong women and can do anything we put our minds to.

4. There are just too many of them.

Ok, so let me get this straight… you want to lose weight, be happier, floss your teeth, and win the lottery. That may be hard to do in one year, let alone a lifetime. There is no way to achieve all your life goals in just one year (which is unfortunate).

How to fix it: Pick something that you are extremely passionate about because chances are you will put a lot of effort into it and actually succeed in your goal. If you really want to stop dating losers and jerks, DO IT. Focus on that only. You do that and you’ll have a much better chance of succeeding.

5. There isn’t enough accountability in resolutions.

“Welp, I’m still dating dirtbags, guess my new year’s resolution didn’t work…hmm, what should I have for lunch?” Too many of us give up on our resolutions and take no credit for it. It is much too easy to not feel remorse about your “failed” attempts at an improved life to actually work.

How to fix it: Place a bet with some friends, make a pact, set a reward––anything that will give incentive to continue through with your resolutions. You are more than capable of achieving what you want as long as you keep it real and stick to it.

I really hope this helps anyone who feels like they’re failing at their goals or that there is something wrong with them because their resolutions don’t always become a reality. Just revise your resolutions and stick with them. You’ll persevere…trust me.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!                                                                                             

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.