The 10 Best Dressed Celebrities at the 2019 Oscars

With no host and many controversies, this year’s Academy Awards may have been a bit of a bore. But anticipating what all of the biggest stars would wear, and seeing the final products, definitely made up for that. Here are the ten best dressed celebrities at the 2019 Academy Awards, in no particular order.

1. Elsie Fisher

Photo Credit: Movie'n'co

She might be wearing Thom Browne, but she’s still Gucci! Channeling a young Margot Tenenbaum with her sleek hair and barrette, Fisher proves she’s not in eighth grade anymore, and will be treated as such. The high school sophomore’s dedication to putting a spin on the classic, heteronormative suit this entire awards season makes her “The Coolest Girl in the World.”

2. Constance Wu

Photo Credit: People

Fitted with micro-pleats and a Swarovski-embellished neckline, Wu is the belle of the ball in an off-the-shoulder marigold Versace gown. While I can’t assume that it was a conscious choice, Wu wearing the color yellow is still a powerful reclamation of a derogatory word towards Asians. Reminiscent of Katherine Ho’s version of Coldplay’s “Yellow” recorded for Crazy Rich Asians, the color is now associated with extraordinary beauty, rather than the color of their skin.

3. Billy Porter

Photo Credit: @theebillyporter on Twitter

Inspired by the inclusion and diversity at this past NYFW, the Kinky Boots and Pose star defied expectations on masculinity in a custom Christian Siriano tuxedo ballgown. On his choice to wear a gown, Porter tells Vogue that being black and gay has made people question his masculinity. But by blurring the line between femininity and masculinity, he finally feels free.

4. Brie Larson

Photo Credit: Getty

In a custom Celine chainmail gown and Chanel fine jewelry, Larson shoots “higher, further, faster” to the top of my list. With the highly anticipated Captain Marvel coming out in March, Larson proves that not all superheroes wear capes, some wear Celine.

5. Black Panther Crew

Photo Credits: Getty

With three monumental Oscar wins under their belt, the cast and crew of Black Panther proudly bear their black excellence, complementing each other as an ensemble. The men (Michael B. Jordan, Ryan Coogler, Chadwick Boseman, Winston Duke) stand out with spins on the classic tux. In hues of gold, embroidery, and silk, the women of Black Panther (Letitia Wright, Danai Gurira, Zinzi Evans) show us how to be female warriors, on and off screen. 

6. Rachel Weisz

Photo Credit: FilmMagic

While she may have lost in her category, Weisz is still “The Favourite” on the red carpet. In a bright red Givenchy latex two-piece, Weisz is channeling Handmaid’s Tale chic and showing everyone how to take risks.

7. Charlize Theron

Photo Credit: Getty

Charlize Theron never fails to disappoint with her Oscars looks. Donning a backless baby-blue Dior gown and a fresh brunette bob, Theron transforms herself each year – never the same thing twice.

8. Spike Lee

Photo Credit: Invision/AP

Do the right thing, and pay attention to Spike Lee. Decked out in an Ozwald Boateng suit and gold Jordan 3’s, Lee finally got his first Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay, after thirty-plus years in the film industry. He continues to make one statement after the other, donning “HATE” and “LOVE” knuckle rings, prominently from his 1989 film Do the Right Thing. His choice to wear a vibrant purple is an homage to the late Prince, whose song "Mary Don’t You Weep" plays during the end credits of BlacKkKlansman.

9. Lady Gaga

Photo Credit: WireImage

There can be 100 people in a room… and Lady Gaga will always be the best dressed. Gaga channeled old Hollywood glam in a black strapless Alexander McQueen gown and accompanying elbow-length gloves. The simplicity of the dress, hair, and makeup give off Audrey Hepburn vibes, even wearing a priceless Tiffany Yellow Diamond last worn by Hepburn in the 1961 film Breakfast at Tiffany’s.

10. Amandla Stenberg

Photo Credit: Getty

At her first Oscars, Stenberg channels the 1920’s with her intricately draped Miu Miu gown and equally intricate finger wave braids. And as she dances the night away, the metallic fringe prepares us for the Roaring Twenties.

There may have been some clear winners and losers (with a few upsets) at this year’s Academy Awards. But on the red carpet, it’s anybody’s game. And these stars came to play.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterestboard, and read our latest Tweets!