Fall 2021 Yellow and Green?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Fall 2021 Yellow and Green?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Taylor Swift via YouTube

5 Types of People Who Should Listen to Red (Taylor’s Version)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

Red (Taylor’s Version) is one of Taylor Swift’s most diverse albums. From celebrating youthful years with friends to crying your eyes out, everyone can find a song that tickles their fancy on this album. As a Swiftie, I find joy in practically every Taylor Swift song; however, not everyone believes her songs should end up on their listening queues. If you find yourself relating to any of the five types of people below, consider listening to Red (Taylor’s Version) and watch your experience with music enter a new level of enjoyment.  

1. Nostalgia Lovers

Regardless of your prior Taylor Swift knowledge and listening habits, this album consistently exudes nostalgic energy. It is hard to forget the 2013 goat meme that came out of the chorus of “I Knew You Were Trouble (Taylor’s Version)” or the colorfully animal filled music video for “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together (Taylor’s Version)”. These cultural moments bind us all to the early 2010s and bring us on a nostalgic journey through the past decade. For Swifties, songs like “All Too Well (Taylor’s Version)” and “Red (Taylor’s Version)” return you to the original Red era and remind you of your life during their release. Even if you are unfamiliar with Swift’s songs, lyrics on tracks like “Holy Ground (Taylor’s Version)” and “The Very First Night (Taylor’s Version) (From the Vault)” resurface emotionally charged memories, bringing them back to life in upbeat bops.

2. Hopeless Romantics

Taylor Swift pens some of the most romantic songs in the music industry; however, in her younger years, many of these heart-shaped tracks contained hopeless elements – feelings all too relatable for many listeners. Tracks like “Treacherous (Taylor’s Version),” “Stay Stay Stay (Taylor’s Version)” and “Message in a Bottle” (Taylor’s Version) (From the Vault)” illustrate a spectrum of hopeless romantics. From those that recognize they are leaning into a “dangerous daydream,” to those that wish that “you could be the one that I love,” Red (Taylor’s Version) resonates for all us hopeless romantics. 

3. Writers

Although this category is rather broad, the album’s versatility offers something for all kinds of language lovers. If you like journaling, the vulnerability of songs like “Forever Winter (Taylor’s Version) (From the Vault),” “Nothing New (Feat. Phoebe Bridgers) (Taylor’s Version) (From the Vault)” and “Sad Beautiful Tragic (Taylor’s Version)” mirror honest diary entries. For songwriters, melting into lyrics like “I’m a crumpled up piece of paper lying here” and “The story’s got dust on every page” can inspire your next song lyrics or leave your creative juices smiling at the genius of Taylor’s writing skills. Even fiction writers can appreciate the story depicted in the master track “All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version) (From the Vault).” If you like putting pen to paper, Red (Taylor’s Version) has something for you.

4. Angsty College Students

Do I consider myself an “angsty college student?” Not exactly, but when bops like “I Bet You Think About Me (Feat. Chris Stapleton) (Taylor’s Version) (From the Vault)” and “Babe (Taylor’s Version) (From the Vault)” blast on full volume, it is hard not to embody that persona. Many songs on Red (Taylor’s Version) manifest feelings of frustration into hit songs that make you want to learn how to play the guitar so that you can dramatically strum it while doing Taylor’s iconic hair flips. If you knew someone was trouble when they walked in, crank up the tunes and belt out a few of Taylor’s hits. 

5. The Broken-Hearted

The original 2012 Red album was Swift’s only self-proclaimed breakup album, rightly so due to tear-jerking tracks like “Sad Beautiful Tragic (Taylor’s Version)” and “All Too Well (Taylor’s Version).” Those experiencing heartbreak will find solace in the rollercoaster of emotions Swift encompasses throughout the album. From reminiscing about the highs in tracks like “Holy Ground (Taylor’s Version),” recognizing red flags in “Treacherous (Taylor’s Version)” and even stepping into a new relationship in “Begin Again (Taylor’s Version),” the mix of themes offers a rope of reliability for those struggling through an emotional nightmare. 

Taylor Swift has such a wide range of music. It is easy to find at least a few tracks that connect to your own life or at least offer that oh-so-exciting main character energy. Red (Taylor’s Version) packs an even bigger punch thanks to its incredible range of emotions, production, and genres throughout the tracklist. Whether you have just suffered a debilitating heartbreak or simply adore watching rom-coms as a self-proclaimed hopeless romantic, Red (Taylor’s Version) offers incredible music for everyone who listens. 

Jade Poli

Bryn Mawr '25

Jade is a prospective English major from Northern New Jersey. When she isn't writing, she loves playing guitar, singing with her A Capella group, taking long walks, and reading murder mysteries with her mini dachshund.