This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

For many of us, it has been 18 months since we have stepped foot in a classroom, and therefore 18 months since we have gotten ready for a class. March of 2020 meant the end of many normalities we once took for granted; a small one of those being the simplicity that was getting ready and going to class. I for one recall the burden that was waking up those extra 20 minutes early in order to put together an ‘outfit,’ and more often than I would like to admit the resignation to throwing on the first comfy clothes in my closet. However, the first day of classes this year was an important one. Finally, we were to attend our classes in person, thus requiring an ensemble that was more than zoom presentable. The energy and excitement in the air was palpable. My roommates and I all sat around our living room the night before discussing and debating which of our clothes to wear. I landed on a mid length navy slip skirt and a basic white tee, paired with my platform white converse and layered on all my craziest jewelry. I just knew everyone would be in their bests. 

10 am on the main green and my expectations were exceeded. The visual stimulus was overwhelming. Everywhere I looked there were more and more exciting things to see. Every student was dressed and ready to see their fellow Brown community members. Even better, everyone came to class stunting in what they felt best in. One of my favorite things about Brown is that you can truly wear whatever you would like. You can be as fancy, casual, outrageous, or alternative as suits you. There is a mutual understanding that everyone does their own thing and each style is appreciated. From those in full-blown summer dresses to silk slips to tie-dye trousers and band tees to the see-through, the plaid, and much more. There is something very special about the excitement of getting dressed up for the very first day and this year the excitement was even greater. After a year and a half of virtual learning, one thing for certain is that I will never take for granted again the simple joy of putting aside the extra 20 minutes to get ready for class in the morning and seeing my peers do the same.

Hollie is a junior from NYC studying Political Science and Art History.