books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Solving Unproductivity During the Summer Term: Best Outdoor Study Spots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

As the concept of summer and final deadlines creeps closer, the correlation between more sunshine and losing the motivation to work is undeniable. Day drinking, picnics and generally procrastinating in any sunny spot can lead to a dangerous, if not rather enjoyable, avoidance of work. With this in mind, it became my mission to discover and explore new spots in Bristol where you can be productive, whilst avoiding the feeling that you’re depriving yourself of the sunny weather.

Best Hidden Spot, RWA Gallery:

As my newest find, this location has become one of my favourite spots in Bristol, whether I am working or not. Located by the Victoria Rooms, this large balcony at the front of the building is a fairly discreet outside area which serves as additional seating for their small downstairs café, The Epiphany. Provided with tables, chairs and comfier spots, the only small downside is the quiet buzz of traffic coming from the triangle, which can easily be ignored.

Best Simulation of the Seaside, Riverside Seating, Arnolfini:

Nothing quite beats being by the sea in the sunshine and so, for me, riverside provides the closest illusion to this. Generally quiet in the day-time, the scattered benches provide a productive and beautiful setting. Additionally, there’s always the option of moving inside the Arnolfini, a work space open to the public, if you fancy a slightly quieter work experience whilst still feeling like you’re making the most of the sun.

Best Outside Café Spot, Park Street, BTP:

Perhaps a slightly less natural outdoor area, the secret garden in Boston Tea Party provides a sun trapped work space, with free Wi-Fi, multiple benches and, most importantly, refreshments whenever you start to lose motivation. Close to University, it can also be visited in lunch breaks and in-between lectures, keeping you productive whilst curing hunger and sunshine cravings.

Best Outside Space on Campus, Royal Fort Gardens:

This classic, but by no means inferior, work spot provides a more relaxed space on campus that is generally popular with most students when the sun comes out. Close to the library, and other work resources, it is perhaps the most convenient place to spend a couple of hours, with tables and chairs available on the tiled areas. However, it can be a risky spot to accidentally waste hours sunbathing if your work ethic is running too low.

Best Natural Escape, Brandon Hill:

Perhaps my favourite reading spot in Bristol, Brandon Hill is a natural haven right beside the busy triangle, with beautiful views and surroundings. Whether you prefer benches or lounging on the grass, this large, peaceful space provides a productive setting for more casual reading and work. 

English Literature student from Cornwall, studying at the University of Bristol.