Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media

Poem: On Love and the Female Tribe

Using creativity and gratitude to get through lockdown

Lockdown has taught us all the value of so many things. As part of our themed creative writing week here’s a poem I wrote a few months back as an ode to the women around me who continue to support me when I need it most.[bf_image id="q7nop4-pr3rs-fhdtb9"]

On love and the female tribe

She needs to stop with the poems about the boys.Pen poised to employ the noise of thoughts with which she toys,The paper pressed to convey coy feelings she caught,It’s ironic both end up destroyed and distraught..Her indiscriminate love is ubiquitous; it’s ridiculousTo denounce the duplicitous and eliminate explicitness.There’s significance; travel impetus met cancellation coincidenceHis say, his feelings, his mood had unambiguous omnipotence..She needs to be meticulous; learn to look between lines beyond rhymesAnd when words fail to emerge, or perturbed by cruel comments that convergeAccept the possibility that it’s time for paths to diverge.Her heart swells with that painful surge..Then she hears their urge..She’s alive, and revived she focuses on the female tribe enabling her to thrive.
Women of vision, who in unwaveringly loyal positions have given and written.Those from the beginning filled distance with beautiful fiction,And those from later illustrated love through lent ears to listen..It’s a bittersweet disclosure that she forgot to cherish them when her eyes were glazed over.Love makes you blind. It was always the women who wrote her.She grows older, moreover she recognises who held her closer –She admires the seemingly stoic women in their supportive composure..We surmise to revise the unwise butterflies over tall legs and pretty eyes,Familiarised with allies, it’s time to prioritise:A world romanticised still needs gratitude normalised.Her poetic reprise turns personalised; their deeds and devotion revitalised her rise..- Franceska Barnard
Third-year Law student and Co-President for Her Campus Bristol 2021-22. I'm interested in covering stories that communicate my passions and uplift inspirational women everywhere! Please reach out to hc.bristol@hercampus.com if you have any questions or want to get involved!