Our Obsession With True Crime Explained: Featuring the Best Audiobooks And Podcasts!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Since the term ‘serial killer’ was coined in the 1980s following the case of Wayne Williams, who murdered 31 children between 1979-1981, the popularity of the true crime genre has increased immensely. Our obsession with true crime since then has only been facilitated by the thousands of books, audiobooks and podcasts that have been released which allow us to delve into the interesting cases from anywhere and everywhere. But why are we so obsessed with listening to and reading about true crime?

One reason for our obsession is the satisfaction we feel when we know a case is solved, and alternatively the eery feeling we are left with knowing that a case remains unsolved to this day. As we listen intently to each episode or chapter of each audiobook, we transform into detectives, trying to piece together the clues and solve the mystery before it’s revealed to us. We are transported to an alternate world of mystery and crime and it’s there that we can conspire as we figure out who did it and what happened. Feelings of excitement, suspense and fear intertwine, and we are left at the edge of our seats until the final seconds when all is revealed.

Like psychologists and philosophers, we are fascinated by the concept of good and evil and I have found myself thinking during most of these episodes ‘Who could do something so terrible?’. Listening to each episode gives us the opportunity to marvel at the minds and psyche of those who commit these monstrosities as we are consistently looking for clues about what might have incited these crimes and most of all, why. The biggest question we ask is always: why? Why did they choose that person as their victim? Why did they choose that location? It’s these questions that keep us interested. We can consider all of these and explore the darker side of humanity from the comfort of our own homes. We can experience the horror and suspense in a controlled environment, like the delightful fear of watching a horror movie at the cinema.

The main appeal for me is the fact that although these stories seem so far from my own uneventful life, this happened to some unexpecting person who, like most of us, think ‘that would never happen to me’.

Some of my personal favourite audiobooks and podcasts you should listen to are:

1. Left You Dead by Peter James

This is a harrowing audiobook that follows Superintendent Roy Grace’s attempts to solve the disappearance of Eden Paternoster, who doesn’t return to the car on a seemingly normal Sunday while out shopping with her husband, who is the primary suspect in the case. In a classic case of he did it/ he didn’t do it, I found myself doubting my own ideas while trying to piece together the story. James’ tantalizing ending will have you scared to walk alone at night.

2. Babes in the Wood by Graham Bartlett

Any true crime story that happens in the woods is always a red flag. This audiobook, based on a true story (also co-written by Peter James), is a more factual account of the long process of bringing the murderer of two young girls to justice over a painful period of thirty years. A different perspective of true crime is shown as we experience the failed prosecutions, endless investigating and a family’s wish to bring their children to justice. This is true crime in a whole other light that will make you feel every minute of those thirty years in just 10 hours.

3. Crime Junkie, hosted by Ashely Flowers and Brit Prawat

This is my personal favourite true crime podcast. With a new episode every Monday, this is the perfect crime podcast to binge on. I love the conversational approach the host take as they relay the facts of each case and I love that they also consider different conspiracies and approaches to each case. Brit’s commentary and questions about relevant facts and clues throughout each episode make it feel as though you’re a part of their conversation as you try to piece the clues together before they do.

My top 3 episodes: MISSING: Ryan Shtuka, MURDERED: Lisa Au and INFAMOUS: Tommy Zeigler.

4. Up and Vanished, hosted by Payne Lindsey

Up and Vanished is a documentary-style series that brings to light some of the most intriguing cold cases and reviews the facts of each case in a new light, while also re-interviewing and searching for any new clues in an attempt to solve these cases. Each episode is completely captivating, and the passion Payne has for bringing justice to the victims of these crimes and their families is incredible.

My top 3 episodes: S1 episode 4: Black out, S1 episode 19: Brooke’s story and S1 episode 22: The Gag Order.

Ellie Huxter

Bristol '23

Hi! I’m Ellie, a second year English student at Bristol. I love classic novels and Greek mythology, especially Madeline Miller’s Song of Achilles.