5 Bristol Coffee spots all students need to visit

Chances are, at some point you’ll find yourself in amongst the tide of students strutting their stuff around Whiteladies Road. If you’re looking for a quick stop for some killer coffee between seminars, or a relaxed environment to recline on a chilly autumnal weekend, this list should help you get to know the wonders of the Bristol coffee scene.

In no particular order, here are our fav spots!

FED – Redland

This eye-catching and funky brunch hotspot starts our list off on the right foot, Cotham and Redland residents have been spoiled rotten with FED’s most recent location. The food on the display always looks incredible and the packed out seats are great indications of just how delicious it is. Whether you need a sweet treat and a coffee as you make your way to the ASS or Senate House, or whether you fancy a weekend catch up with friends over some seasonal salad, it seems like FED offers all types of foods for all sorts of cravings.

The coffee was silky smooth whilst the cake was absolutely delicious when I visited. This new spot might soon become a favourite place of mine!

Variety, delicious and welcoming to sum its key qualities up!

East village Cafe – Clifton

East Village Cafe is definitely a place to peruse if you’re new to the city. The setting is immaculate, with outdoor seating amidst the heart of the Clifton village buzz which is perfect for a sunny day. Meanwhile the inside features a browsable shopping area with its sister brand French Grey, you’ll find an amazing array of trinkets, plants, decor and beautiful artwork to decorate your new room with. It’s genuinely a nice place to explore and treat yourself in as well as for getting your caffeine fix.

Even better, East Village Cafe offers 100% vegan food with many gluten free options. Their coffee is sourced from local Bristol company Roasted Rituals, so it’s always guaranteed to be top-notch and tasty.

Unique, yummy and aesthetic in three words!

Bristol Coffee review
Original photo by Franceska Barnard
Spoke & Stringer – Whiteladies Road

Spoke & Stringer is one of the coolest concept shops that Bristol has seen, in my opinion. As a student you’re bound to walk past its Clifton Down shopping centre store whilst in desperate need for a refuel between the walk home and campus, and chances are you’ll also spot one of its other larger spots down by Harbourside when out exploring the city with friends.

What Spoke & Stringer does is combine a deli, coffee shop and ‘lifestyle’ store all into one experience, investing in high quality products in each of these areas. The clothes and accessories on display are always very suave and stylish, with a definitive surf and ride undertone. It’s ultimately a great experience all around: it’s always warm and accommodating, the health-based sandwiches make you feel good as you pop in, and the coffee is delicious.

Funky, cutting edge and impressive!

Bristol Coffee review
Franceska Barnard/ Spoke and Stringer
EDEN Cafe – Clifton

We are such fans of the amazing and high quality vegan-based Eden Cafe that we plan to host our first social here on September 29th! If you have a sweet tooth, this Clifton village based spot is great for you, but even if you lean towards smoothie bowls and sourdough sandwich delights then Eden has you covered! Essentially it’s the plant-based brunch spot of everyone’s dreams.

Their emphasis on locally sourced produce is what makes coming here such a delight – from the moment I walked in it was friendly, bright and easy to relax in: the perfect spot for catching up with friends or doing some university admin. For coffee aficionados, Eden Cafe was the first UK Cafe to stock Colonna Coffee as the house blend, giving their coffee a unique and rich flavour.

Delicious, healthy and exceptionally friendly in a nutshell!

Bristol Coffee review Eden Cafe
Franceska Barnard/ EDEN Cafe
Playground Cafe – St Nicholas Street

Playground Cafe has a special spot in my heart, it was my favourite spot to bring visitors in my first year at university. If you’re new to the city you have to get some street food at St Nich’s market, it’s one of the defining places of Bristol in my opinion, and just around the corner is this amazing coffee shop. The artisan coffee is superb, and the baristas are incredibly talented when it comes to latte art – I’ve had a kitten on mine before!

The backdrop is great for relaxing with friends, the cafe is stocked with quirky and interesting board games and there are swing seats to literally kick back in! If you’re looking for somewhere to boast about on Instagram or simply a place for a good catch up then this is the perfect city centre setting.

Chilled out, high-quality and memorable in essence!

Bristol Coffee shops
Original photo by Franceska Barnard

This piece is part of a themed week centred around getting back to university in Bristol

Third-year Law student and Co-President for Her Campus Bristol 2021-22. Happiest when baking, walking dogs and out with friends! I'm interested in covering stories that communicate my passions and uplift inspirational women everywhere! Please reach out to [email protected] if you have any questions or want to get involved!