My First Homecoming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

It’s homecoming weekend! The thought of my first college homecoming celebration as a freshman brought so many emotions. I was so excited to “roll with the big dogs,” specifically the Bloomsburg Huskies. I was always involved with homecoming at my high school, but I knew this would be different. I decided that I might as well get involved here, because what wouldn’t there be to love about more homecoming preparation?  

We started off meeting once a week and discussing ideas, and then the big weekend was fast approaching, so we had to make those ideas become a reality. We made signs and posters, decorated the courts sashes, ordered the flowers and the plaques, designed favors, and so much more. It’s crazy to think of the weeks that go into planning this event, and then it’s all over in one day. Getting up early on Saturday morning to start organizing the parade floats isn’t the most ideal situation, but it all pays off in the end when we get to ride on the firetruck while throwing candy and favors. The weekend consisted of fireworks, tailgating, a big parade, lots of food, football, and friends.  

My first homecoming experience at Bloomsburg was the best, not only because I got to be a part of planning it, but because I made so many new friends in the process. As Brad Paisley sings in one of his songs, “there’s a last time for everything” so whether this is your first or last college homecoming, enjoy it while you can, because one day you’ll be attending your school’s homecoming as an alum.