Going Vegan for Three Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

Yep, I did it! No fail pass was necessary this time, either. I’m sure most of you know by now what a vegan diet is, but here is a quick refresher. Vegan: a person who does not eat or use animal products (Dictionary.com). How will I survive without milk?! And do y’all understand the amount of eggs I consume…or the number of things that CONTAIN eggs? A lot of label reading was involved for this challenge. Here we go!

THURSDAY

10AM

Breakfast: This one was pretty easy, as I usually have fruit for breakfast. I just had to forgo the milk, since I only had 2% in the fridge. Pro-tip for your dorm: buy a blender! I own a travel sized one with a detachable bottle and lid, so throwing a banana and frozen berries in was super easy to enjoy on the way to my 11 AM class.

2PM

I met my roomie at the Commons’ Starbucks and opted to try their new Hazelnut Mocha Coconut milk Macchiato (iced) since that is dairy free! I love trying new products from any vendor I frequent, so not having to pass that up was a bonus.

2:30 PM

At this point I was kinda hungry and realized that while Starbs is great for accommodating diverse diets in their drink selections…their food falls short. The only vegan options were kind of boring such as the bagels or a fruit and cheese box sans-cheese. The snacks for sale are already pricey, and sifting through labels would take up study time. Being a complicated person, I ended up running over to Husky.

Luckily, the featured burger was veggie based! I just substituted the whole wheat roll (they taste better and don’t fall apart) and asked to leave off the cheese, as well as the unknown sauce. Listen…if you’re adventurous and want a healthier option try this burger! It was incredible, and I honestly wouldn’t have expected the Grille to produce something so delicious and juicy.

5PM

Post-workout I had a big ole’ spoonful of peanut butter with some raisins for protein.

7:30PM

I passed Qudoba on the way back from a friend’s dorm and couldn’t resist. However, I felt silly paying a lot of Flex for no meat. So I opted for a cup of tortilla soup, only $3 and you can add in any veggies you’d like! I felt really good after eating this—some of the heavier soups made by the school can end up sitting like a rock.

FRIDAY

9:30 AM

Breakfast: I woke up actually feeling hungry, which is a bonus. That means I only consumed what I needed to burn! I also LOVE breakfast, so starting hungry is awesome. Since it was early I headed to Husky to pick up a peanut butter wheat bagel. Call me Betty Crocker, I added a banana to fill the meal swipe then sliced it onto the bagel. YUM.

1PM

To shake things up sometimes my friends and I take the bus up to Monty’s. They had a salad station this week, so I custom-made mine with no cheese and just oil and vinegar on top. The school only shows what’s inside their dressings if you ask. The important part of following a special diet on campus is being diligent!

3:30 PM

Before work I hesitated having a granola bar, sure that the coating contained milk. I accidentally bought a Nutrigrain bar, then realized that probably had animal products as well! So I admitted defeat and prayed I could get through the shift without starving.

6PM

I have not told y’all…I work at a deli. MEATS AND CHEESES. We’re constantly sampling extra product…oh resisting that black pepper cheese was killer. It did not help that the salad didn’t stick with me.

9PM For dinner I was FINALLY able to have a can of Amy’s vegetable and lentil soup I’d been waiting on (the keto diet restricted legumes). Amy’s soups are a little bit pricey for a college budget but can be a nice splurge if you’re sick or just a fan of delicious soup, but you’re lacking a stove.

SATURDAY 1AM I DESERVE AN AWARD FOR REMEMBERING TO BE VEGAN WHEN EATING DRUNK FOOD. Name a drunk food that doesn’t involve cheese. It takes a bit. All hail french fries and ketchup (and Dylan O’Brian)!

11AM

Yeah…it’s the weekend. I wasn’t going to wake up before ten. I also wasn’t eating breakfast, considering the face-stuffing that went down only a few hours prior.

1:30 PM

Commons was the move. I beelined for a waffle, then realized the batter may have eggs. To be a good journalist, I actually did ask a manager for the nutritional information. The batter is just a mix, but they do add milk. Salad bar it is! In the end, that made me happy because I needed something to push me towards a healthier choice.

4PM

I drove my sickly roommate to CVS and she offered to buy me a donut…you all know that rejection cut deep

5 PM

Pre-workout I enjoyed a Nature Valley Oats N’ Honey bar. Those are the GOAT. They never let me down.

7:30 PM

Final vegan meal! Since I start the paleo challenge on Monday, which will cut me off from beloved carbs again, the bagel hut was calling my name. I went for hummus, extra spinach, tomato, and onion on whole wheat. Bonus if you get the apple slice meal deal and toss them on there, too.

Being vegan was definitely easier than the keto diet. I really enjoyed the way I felt on this lifestyle. The food satiated me without leading to grogginess, weird cravings, or an overly full stomach. I enjoyed being able to eat “more,” since most of it is plant based, which is lighter fare. The challenge has reminded me to cut down on meats, because in the end it is better for the environment, and I always feel great on a vegetable rich diet. All in all, I’d stop making fun of vegans so much and maybe consider walking a week or so in their shoes. (PS the gif below is from Scott Pilgrim VS The World, a must watch if you like strange yet hilarious movies)