Adventure Awaits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

So, if you guys have read any of my previous articles then you may have picked up that I love, love, love anything that has to do with taking any offered opportunity, especially when it comes to traveling, adventuring, and just enjoying life overall. I can happily say that in just seven short weeks I will be on my way to the airport to catch a plane to England! I’m so incredibly excited and so incredibly nervous to start a journey studying abroad. There is so much that I can’t wait to experience and so much that I don’t want to leave behind.

To begin, let me just say that the semester in England is about five months long. That’s five months that I get to stay in a different country, learning and exploring a whole new culture! That’s so crazy! Five months that I get to listen to professors lecture with a British accent, five months that I get to spend traveling to different countries within Europe, five months that I get to question why the Brits spell their words funny (although, I guess we’d be the ones who spell the words funny… right?), five months that I get to live fully in the moment, five months that I get to find myself when everything else fails. It’s insane. I can’t explain it. It’s almost like I can just feel everything there waiting for me to find it (e.g., friends, experiences, memories). There’s so much that I’m looking forward to! Most of all, I’m really, really hoping to explore other countries while I’m there. At the moment, I’m currently thinking about taking trips to Germany, Scotland, and France. I hope that everyone who has ever had even the slightest inkling that they want to travel just goes, because there really is no better time than the present.

On another note, I’m absolutely terrified to leave my whole life behind as I pack one medium sized suitcase and move myself to a different country for nearly half a year. I’m afraid that so much is going to happen here in America, and I’m going to miss it. I’m worried that something may happen and I won’t have any control or say in the matter because I’ll be on the other side of the Atlantic. Of course, I know this is irrational because things could happen even while I am here, and I still wouldn’t have any control over it. It’s crazy to think that life goes on in places where we are not, but they do. The only thing that we, ourselves, really can do is live our own lives to the fullest.

There are so many hopes that I have for England, and I’m going to write all about it. I want to document everything from celebrating my 21st birthday abroad to the actual studying part of studying abroad, so if you’re interested in my travel experiences, tips, and tricks, stay tuned because adventure really does await.

Tip for the day: Book your flights well in advance. International flights raise their prices higher as you get closer to the big day. The best time that I found to book flights such as these is between two and three months in advance.

If I were an inanimate object, I'd be a HB pencil because I leave my mark wherever I go.