Things You Need to Maximize and Organize Your Closet for Under $50

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

It’s time for your college move-in, and you’re standing in front of your closet facing a big dilemma. What should you take to college and how can all of those clothes possibly fit into that teeny-tiny wardrobe? If you are someone who lives fairly close to home and can go back and forth, this dilemma might not be that big. But for out-of-state or international students, don’t worry, I have your back!

Before deciding what to take and how much to take, you NEED to know what your closet will look like: how big it is and how much it can hold. Does it have shelves? Hooks? How long is the rod? How many drawers do you get? The list goes on, but once you have all this information you need, you are set to pack!

So here are the things that you need to maximize and organize your closet space. And all for under a total of $50!

1. HANGING SHOE ORGANIZER

Trust me, this is one of the best purchases I have ever made for my wardrobe. Most organizers can fit up to 10 pairs of shoes and this organizer should fit any and all of your needs while at college. The biggest advantage you have by using this system is that you can actually see all of your shoes. You don’t have to dump them all out from a bin just to find a pair.

2. FELT HANGERS

I don’t think there is a need to explain this. Just go buy them. I would suggest that you buy at least 25 hangers.

3. PLASTIC STORAGE DRAWERS

These plastic storage drawers from Target are perfect for storing your t-shirts, sweatshirts and lounging clothes. You can just slide them into your closet. You also get an additional shelf for keeping your stuff, and I got it on sale for just $10!

4. STORAGE BINS

Storage bins are the perfect solution for hiding all the stuff you don’t want other people seeing and are a placeholder for knick-knacks that seem to have to no home yet.

5. COMMAND HOOKS

Command hooks are perfect to put up inside your closet for hanging up your bathrobes and purses. They maximize your vertical space and also free up precious shelf space these things would normally take up.

Here is what mine looks like with everything put together!

Good luck on your organizational adventure!

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5

Janvi Jain

Bentley '22

Hi guys!! My names Janvi and I’m currently a freshman at Bentley University. I’m an international student from India and I plan on majoring in Finance at Bentley.
Allison Weed

Bentley '20

Allison Weed is a senior at Bentley University. She is majoring in Marketing with minors in Information Design and Corporate Communication, and International Affairs. She is the President and Campus Correspondent of the Bentley University Her Campus Chapter.