Lynne Johanson, Administrative Assistant of Service Learning and Coordinator of Alternative Spring Break

Bentley related…

HC: Would you recommend every student to do Service Learning?

Yes, I feel it is very important for students to at least have a taste of doing service while they are here.  Once you get into the work force it can be very difficult to find time to do service in the community.  If you have had the opportunity to engage in this while you are here, in most circumstances people really enjoy it and realize the importance of the work they are involved with, plus it is fun!  You are in a business school setting where your classes, group projects, and homework are quite serious, involving yourself in service gives you a chance to choose what you like to do in the community and connect it back to your classwork.  You also tend to meet other like-minded people when you associate yourself with the BSLC.  Just a side-note, the students are amazing here!!!

HC: What is your favorite Bentley memory?

Well I have many but I will tell you about 2 of them… lol.

HC: What are they?

My favorite moment for me was when my daughter Jess graduated in 2008.  Definitely a proud parenting moment!

My second favorite moment was more recent and it is a combined favorite.  First was when we worked with KaBoom to build an $85,000 playground at the largest low-income housing development in Waltham.  We worked with KaBoom, United Health Care, The New England Patriots,  as well as the Waltham Police, Brandeis University and of course many faculty, staff, and students from Bentley University.  It was incredible to see over 200 people come together and work as one to get this accomplished in one day, amazing!!!  It was truly a day when you felt a great sense of community.  The 2nd part of this was when we had the grand opening of the community center in this same housing development.  The faces on the children and adults of this community made all the hard work and effort worth it.  

HC: What is your favorite spot on Bentley’s campus?

The service learning office because it is always happy and busy.