This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Even at Bentley, with all its beautiful views, campus-run activities, Greek life, and clubs, every now and then you may find yourself saying, “I have NOTHING to do this weekend.” While it’s easy to round up your friends and go out for an adventure in Boston, Waltham’s very own set of attractions should not be slept on! 

Next time you’re feeling a little bored, instead of catching an Uber into the city check out one of these Waltham based spots instead: 

Grab a Bite – Hungry? Mix it up and check out one of these Waltham eateries. 

Charcoal Guido’s – $$ – A Waltham classic, Charcoal Guido’s is the go-to restaurant for a classic Italian meal in a contemporary space. If you have a sweet tooth, make sure to order the Nutella pizza for dessert! 

John Brewer’s Tavern – $$ – If you’re missing home cooked meals, John Brewer’s Tavern is the next best thing. While their menu is chockfull of comfort food, trying their buffalo chicken mac n’ cheese is a must. Thank me later. 

Brothers Marketplace – $ – Sick of the usual off campus lunches like Chipotle and Panera? Head to Brothers Marketplace instead. Their “handpicked selection of fresh foods, local products,” and “delicious prepared meals” will be sure to hit the spot. Check out their yummy soups or make use of their salad bar for a D.I.Y. option. 

Have a Drink – For Bentley students 21+, fun bars aren’t only found in the city.

Margaritas Mexican Restaurant – $$ – Another Waltham standard, Margaritas promises not only some awesome fajitas, but a tasty cocktail too. My favorite is the blood orange margarita. Make sure to pay this wateringhole a visit on a Thursday for College Night (apps are ½ price and drinks are discounted)!

Jake n JOES Sports Grille – $$ – Sick of watching the Patriots via your dorm room’s couch? Venture to Jake n JOES for the game instead. Their XL bar, extensive menu, and walls of TVs is sure to accommodate.

The Gaff – $$ – Deriving from a common Irish slang word, “Gaff” means “home” and homey is exactly the vibe of this tiny little bar on Moody Street. Most importantly… free popcorn. Yup, you heard me. This pub aims to please.

Spend the Day – Before planning a day in the city, consider spending your day at one of these local attractions.

Café on the Common – $ – While weekends are a great time to relax or hang out with a group of friends, sometimes you’ve gotta hit the books. For a change of scenery, instead of trekking up to the Bentley library, pack your backpack and visit Café on the Common instead. Nothing soothes the aches and pains of midterm season quite like an expertly crafted latte. 

Charles River Canoe & Kayak: Waltham – $$ – More of the adventurous type? Try Charles River Canoe & Kayak (right next to Margaritas) and rent a kayak, paddleboard, or canoe for a few hours. Maybe celebrate your adventurous spirit with some chips and salsa after? Unfortunately, this location is closed for the season, but keep this activity in mind for the spring! 

Wilson Farm – $/$$ – Although technically not in Waltham… Wilson Farm (located in Lexington) is an absolute must see during the fall or winter months. Not only is the farm beautifully decorated, it’s the ideal spot to pick up some cinnamon sugar donuts and cider or some super fresh ingredients to make dinner.

Images courtesy of the author

Haley M

Bentley '20

Marketing major and Law and Sociology double minor at Bentley University.
Allison Weed

Bentley '20

Allison Weed is a senior at Bentley University. She is majoring in Marketing with minors in Information Design and Corporate Communication, and International Affairs. She is the President and Campus Correspondent of the Bentley University Her Campus Chapter.