Apple Orchard Girl
Apple Orchard Girl
Alex Frank / Spoon

8 Things You Can Do For Fun This Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

It’s hard to believe that we’re already two weeks into October, but there’s still plenty of time to do some of the classic October activities. Check out this list of things you can do with your friends during this month!

Apple Picking

A classic fall activity. Although the apple orchards are about 40 minutes away, it’s definitely worth the drive if you’re in the mood for apples, apple cider donuts, and some fresh apple cider. Popular apple orchards are Honey Pot Hill Orchards or Shelburne Farm which are both in Stowe, Massachusetts. 

Go to a Haunted House

If you’re feeling really adventurous, head to a haunted house to get really spooked. There are also a bunch of different ghost tours in and around Boston that draw in a lot of people in during the month of October. Might want to bring your friends for moral support – some haunted houses can be over the top.

Deck your dorm with Halloween decorations

If you really want to get into the Halloween spirit, head to Michaels Craft Store, Party City, or even Target. Target has some great Fall themed items in the dollar section at the front of the store. Grab some pumpkin garland and a couple skeletons, and your dorm will be the best dressed room in your whole dorm. If you want to go to the next level, you could even decorate your door like a mummy or Frankenstein.

Pumpkin Picking

The perfect way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Grab some friends and head to the pumpkin patch to find your perfect pumpkin. You can bring it back to carve out the insides and roast pumpkin seeds, make a jack-o-lantern or even do some pumpkin painting. Wilson’s Farm is not too far and has a wide variety of pumpkins for a relatively low price.

Bake apple and pumpkin pies

If you have an apartment on campus, now is a great time to use your superior baking skills and make pies with your roommates! You can use the apples you got from apple picking, or go to local grocery stores like Market Basket or Hannaford and grab a bag. Not only is it a sweet treat, you’ll also get to take a break from midterms and spend some quality time with your roomies.

Watch scary movies

Now is the perfect time to curl up on the couch with a bowl of popcorn and a fluffy blanket and get into the Halloween mood. If you’re not a fan of scary movies, you can always start by watching the Halloween classics like Halloweentown and Hocus Pocus. 

Go on a hike

The weather is getting a bit cooler out and the leaves are starting to change in Waltham. All signs that fall is upon us. Head over to the trails across the street from Bentley for a quiet walk through the woods. The leaves are also starting to change which makes it an even more enjoyable walk.

Visit Salem, Massachussetts 

Have you really been to Massachusetts if you haven’t been to Salem during the month of October? Salem is famous for the Salem Witch Trials and is a town that emulates what Halloween really is. If you get a chance to go, you definitely should. The town is all decked out with Halloween decorations and people are dressed up in costumes as you walk down the streets lined with stores selling all kinds of relics and Halloween items.

1/2/3/4

Allison Weed

Bentley '20

Allison Weed is a senior at Bentley University. She is majoring in Marketing with minors in Information Design and Corporate Communication, and International Affairs. She is the President and Campus Correspondent of the Bentley University Her Campus Chapter.