How to Write the Best Thank You Note

Picture this: it’s your birthday and when it comes time to open gifts, you’re shocked when you see that your cousin got you the necklace you’ve been eyeing for weeks.  Sure, you thank her in person, but you want to show her how truly grateful you are for her thoughtfulness.  So, you sit down to write her a thank you note.  Everything is going great, you have your stationary and your favorite pen ready, until you realize the cats got your tongue. 

Again. 

No worries though, you figure you’ll just give up on the idea and shoot her an email or text instead.  I mean it’s the 21st century, who would actually want a handwritten letter?  Actually, believe it or not, a lot of people would.   

Not sure where to begin?  No worries! Here are some user-friendly tips to make your next thank you note the most sincere it’s ever been.

1. Greet the Giver
This seems obvious, but make sure that you remember to address the person whom you are writing to.  

2. Express your Gratitude
Saying something as simple as “Thank you so much for the necklace” will suffice.  However, if the person you are writing to gave you money, do not directly mention money.  Rather, saying something along the lines of “Thank you for your generosity.”

3. Discuss Use
Say something nice about the object you’ve been given. Going back to the necklace example, saying something like “it’s absolutely beautiful” is simple, yet sincere enough to make the giver feel as if he or she got you exactly what you wanted.  However, if you get a gift that you don’t like, don’t lie.  Instead, find something you do like about the object and go with it.  Say something like “I love silver hearts.”

4. Mention the Past, Allude to the Future
Let the giver feel as if he or she plays a role in your life.  Saying “It was great seeing you at my birthday party, I look forward to seeing you in the near future” will make the giver feel as if he or she were an important part of your special day.

5. Grace
It’s not overkill to say thank you one last time.  So, do it!

Writing thank you notes is something that most people don’t do anymore.  However, they are so important.  It’s nice to make people feel appreciated, and now that you have the skills to do so, why not take five minutes out of your busy day to make someone smile? 

Photo Source:
glassdoor.com

Lauren Ruvo is a sophomore at Boston College who is double majoring is Human Development and Communications. Lauren is originally from Las Vegas and doesn't think she will ever get used to the winters in Boston. Lauren writes for The Heights as well as the Boston College branch of Her Campus. In her free time, Lauren loves shopping, traveling, spending time with friends and family, spin class, and cooking. She is very excited about joining the Her Campus team!